Forums

PGA Show

• 4188 points

How many people are going to the PGA Show?

Please update us on new and interesting products and trends.

• 3500 points

I will be there. 2nd year going. Looking forward to seeing everything and learning more about the golf marketplace!

• 4647 points

How many companies are there and how many new products ever survive the show and find some sort of market niche? Cannot be many...Do you all remember that TV show where new golf products cooked up in garages across America were presented for commercial viability? Sort a Shark Tank for golf? It didn't last too long an the Golf Channel, but I remember sitting bolt upright when someone actually "stole" my idea to put folding wheels on a travel bag so you could push the bag easily through the airport...Made it to production as I recall...Now, I'd rather FedEx the sticks - at least they'll take responsibility if they damage the package.

• 704 points

I have never been but I hear year after year if you are a Golfer this is something you need to see!

• 688 points

Sun Mountain makes the travel bags called the Clubglider. Don't know if the inventor sold outright, or gets royalties for each bag made. Still on the market. There was also a device that made it to production. It looked like long handled pliers, you'd supposedly use if you carried a wedge and a putter up to the green from the cart. You clamped it near the bottom of the shaft to prop the club so the grip wouldn't touch the ground and kept the club visible so you wouldn't forget it. Saw them at Golf Galaxiy for a season or tow. Haven't seen them since. Hopefully, he sold a bunch and made some good money.

• 4188 points

RMH49
    Sun Mountain makes the travel bags called the Clubglider. Don't know if the inventor sold outright, or gets royalties for each bag made. Still on the market. There was also a device that made it to production. It looked like long handled pliers, you'd supposedly use if you carried a wedge and a putter up to the green from the cart. You clamped it near the bottom of the shaft to prop the club so the grip wouldn't touch the ground and kept the club visible so you wouldn't forget it. Saw them at Golf Galaxiy for a season or tow. Haven't seen them since. Hopefully, he sold a bunch and made some good money.

Isn't that potato chip bag clip?

•  

There are more than 1,000 golf companies and brands showing in the million square feet of exhibit space -- something like 10 miles of aisles. It is exhausting to try to get to all the appointments we have in three days!

I have no idea how many new products survive, and how many come back to spend big bucks. I answered a question about costs to exhibit in the Tacky is as Tacky does post.  

•  

No sure I will go this year.

Redskins, you can't go unless you are a PGA member, a guest of a PGA member or work in the golf retail business.

• 4647 points

golfchick
    There are more than 1,000 golf companies and brands showing in the million square feet of exhibit space -- something like 10 miles of aisles. It is exhausting to try to get to all the appointments we have in three days!

I have no idea how many new products survive, and how many come back to spend big bucks. I answered a question about costs to exhibit in the Tacky is as Tacky does post.

Interesting information Chris.There is no limit to people's dreams and obviously the convention organizers are more than happy to let people roll the dice...for a price! What are you typically looking to accomplish when you attend the show? I assume you want to see the latest and greatest product offerings from the major manufacturers of equipment and apparel (we all know you have FJ/Titleist at the top of the list, but you have to see what the competition is bringing to the fight!) and place selected orders. OUtside of that buyers mission, what else do you look for? Is the show like a giant mystery gift box? Regardless, it sounds like a lot of FUN WORK!

• 3718 points

I'd love to be able find my way in there someday.  Just to see all of the interesting things that show up.  Fortunately I know enough PGA members, I just need to talk one or two into taking a trip some year :)

• 688 points

He was one of the winners in the Golf Channel inventors show. Probably got the idea from a potatoe chip bag clip.

•  

pistolpete
    golfchickThere are more than 1,000 golf companies and brands showing in the million square feet of exhibit space -- something like 10 miles of aisles. It is exhausting to try to get to all the appointments we have in three days!

Interesting information Chris.There is no limit to people's dreams and obviously the convention organizers are more than happy to let people roll the dice...for a price! What are you typically looking to accomplish when you attend the show? I assume you want to see the latest and greatest product offerings from the major manufacturers of equipment and apparel (we all know you have FJ/Titleist at the top of the list, but you have to see what the competition is bringing to the fight!) and place selected orders. OUtside of that buyers mission, what else do you look for? Is the show like a giant mystery gift box? Regardless, it sounds like a lot of FUN WORK!

Pete

I wise man once told me, never let your hobby become your work, since it will then no longer be a hobby but your job. It's quite profound really. While we can say it would be great to work at what we love, in the end, it totally changes things, and sometimes not in a good way. I know many people in the golf industry, and the consensus is that it reduces the amount of time they have to play and changes the nature of time they can actually participate in the parts of the game they love.

Yes, it is awesome to walk the aisles and see all the great products. But work is work, and the stresses in that aspect, for me, would just make my relationship with golf not as enjoyable.

•  

I use to go to the PGA show every year in the late 90s.  My family owned a few golf stores and we turned a trip to the show into a small winter family vacation.  We'd spend a day or two at the golf show meeting with the sales reps we needed to see and then we would go to Disney for a few days.  A lot of really great memories from those trips.  The show started slowing down in the early 2000s.  I think I even heard some of the big companies skipped years.  Combine that with everyone's schedules getting busy, and we stopped going.  I've heard it has grown back up, so I'd like to be able to go back someday.  It would be interesting to see how things have changed since I was last there.

•  

Tar Heel
    I wise man once told me, never let your hobby become your work, since it will then no longer be a hobby but your job. It's quite profound really. While we can say it would be great to work at what we love, in the end, it totally changes things, and sometimes not in a good way. I know many people in the golf industry, and the consensus is that it reduces the amount of time they have to play and changes the nature of time they can actually participate in the parts of the game they love.

Yes, it is awesome to walk the aisles and see all the great products. But work is work, and the stresses in that aspect, for me, would just make my relationship with golf not as enjoyable.

Well said Randy.  When I was in the golf business I hardly ever made it to the course.  The summer was obviously our busy season so that was when you were working 12 hour days 6 days a week.  And then we'd rotate who was working on Sunday.  Didn't leave much time for golf.  Now I don't want my hobby to be my job, but I'd like to get my hobby to be able to make some extra money.  I'm trying to make my "golf life" even every year financially.

•  

I have not attended the PGA Show, what is required to attend?