Forums

Describe your Face Balanced Putters

•  

Prefer the weights to the lead tape.  I changed my 10g weights to 15g on my Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback Select.....felt the additional weight keeps the face on line longer........have a 35 inch shaft with midsize SC grips....I have used lead tape in the past on my Ping Pal 4, Pal 2i, Odyssey White Ice 1 and older SC Newport 2.......but like being able to change the weights on the newer SC putters.......used primarily plumberneck shafts in past and really like new notchback shaft......

•  

I've got a Newport Longneck that's face balanced.  I putt poorly with it though.  I prefer full toe hang.

•  

I took an early lunch today and stopped by a local practice greens to putt.  Minutes later, I see this 7 year old kid who has been playing/practicing at our course, Chris Styles.  I've heard he's been doing well in golf and has recently been featured in Golf magazine recently.  So I came over to say hi to him and his dad, Ken.  Very nice family, might I add.  But I couldn't be more thrilled for the kid to have all Titleist gears, bag and all (fitted) - FootJoy M-Project shoes (i'm now a fan), and a Scotty Cameron Squareback- face balanced, initialed by SC himself!  (Aahhhh!) 

Anyway, he putted real well with it!

•  

I have, like many other FJA members, a wide variety of Cameron Putters.  Some of my favorite face balanced (or SBST as they are also referred to) are Kombi, Futura, Newport 2.6, and Futura X (both standard and Dual Balance).  The Futura X is the one I am using most of late being the most current model from last summer.  Here is a picture of it:

Good luck, and I would encourage you to play around with a variety of putters.  There is a good article on golfwrx.com right now discussing attributes in picking a putter on the home page.  You may wish to check it out, so many things to consider...if you want the easy way just get a Scotty Cameron Futura X....IMHO!

•  

That's a nice putter.

The GOLO looks nice, too.

But, I'll check it out, Chris.  

Thanks.

• 688 points

I read somewhere or was on some website. If you have a curved putting stroke, the toe balanced putter works better. If you have a straight back and forth stroke the face balanced putter is best. Agree?

•  

RMH49
    I read somewhere or was on some website. If you have a curved putting stroke, the toe balanced putter works better. If you have a straight back and forth stroke the face balanced putter is best. Agree?

Agree, I have a Ping nome 355 and it's face balance with a straight ARC. I have have been putting great with it. Inside 3 feet it has been pure on all putts. :)

•  

Chris92009

I have, like many other FJA members, a wide variety of Cameron Putters.  Some of my favorite face balanced (or SBST as they are also referred to) are Kombi, Futura, Newport 2.6, and Futura X (both standard and Dual Balance).  The Futura X is the one I am using most of late being the most current model from last summer.  Here is a picture of it:

Good luck, and I would encourage you to play around with a variety of putters.  There is a good article on golfwrx.com right now discussing attributes in picking a putter on the home page.  You may wish to check it out, so many things to consider...if you want the easy way just get a Scotty Cameron Futura X....IMHO!

Noel, I tried this SC Futura x putter and loved it :) it was just too far out of my price range to consider. My used nome cost $40 a used Futura x cost $340 and New Futura x cost $350 ! Scotty holds onto it's value that is for sure.

•  

I agree....SC Putters are not cheap...basically anything SC is not cheap...bummer for those just starting out or do not have a big trust fund...lots a great equipment out there right now at various price points...I would not pick on price any product, too many great putters below $150!

• 2420 points

I have a face balanced, center shafted Rossa with a Super stroke grip. Got fitted for it about 3 years ago instantly took a couple strokes off.

I suggest everyone have a putter fitting at least once, I use the  straight back and straight thru  stroke and the center shafted putter really did the the trick.

• 4617 points

Chris92009
    I agree....SC Putters are not cheap...basically anything SC is not cheap...bummer for those just starting out or do not have a big trust fund...lots a great equipment out there right now at various price points...I would not pick on price any product, too many great putters below $150!

I've had reasonable success over the years perusing eBay for used Cameron putters. You can find pristine examples of relatively late model styles as good prices. Paying multi hundreds for one club, be it a putter or a driver  is not within tmy budgetary reality...

• 688 points

The Uinta (formerly EW) retail golf stores near me carries used equipment.  I find, once in awhile, used SC putters for sale at a decent price. I picked up my SC Red X several years ago for 1/3 the then retail price, plus a seven day return policy. .

•  

Most of the face balanced putters I've seen are mallets  I remember a friend had an old Ping blade that's faced balanced... it's probably the first I saw that way.

The GOLOS, which I suspect could be a perfect faced balance mallet is intriguing... I'm gonna need to try it.