Forums

Describe your Face Balanced Putters

•  

FootJoy Community/friends,

If you use a face balanced putter, could you tell us about it here: mallet, blade, brand (SC?)...etc.

• 688 points

Mallet Scotty Cameron 2006 33" Red X. Almost face balanced, but not quite. Also have a Odessey Rossi 33" which is faced balanced.

• 3296 points

uh oh...i need to do some research. I'm clueless on this topic.

•  

I'm not sure if there are technical terms for it, but it's pretty simple...

When you try and place or balance a putter horizontally by its shaft on a finger or a solid base, the face of the putter points directly up in the sky.  That makes it face balanced.  However, when the face isn't facing up- perhaps towards a horizon, it's deemed as the putter is "toe balanced".

•  

Cameron Del Mar ... I've cut it down to 29 inches and added some lead tape to increase some weight....

• 688 points

Mondo
    Cameron Del Mar ... I've cut it down to 29 inches and added some lead tape to increase some weight....

• 688 points

JAT. nstead of lead tape, I think you can buy a variety of weights to insert in the sole of the putter. Would look better than lead tape.

•  

I have a Scotty Fastback 1 which is face balanced.  I tried to adapt to it last year with little to no luck and switched back to my trust 45+ year old Bullseye which is strongly toe down.  I think I may try again this year since the Scotty feels so good in the hands.  May have to try to change it to a slightly toe-down weight distribution and work my way into it.  I'll let everyone know later in the year what transpired.

•  

SC Cali Fastback (20g weights) - smooth like warm butter....

•  

Get weights directly from SC or other aftermarket.

• 3296 points

noeldaof
    I'm not sure if there are technical terms for it, but it's pretty simple...

When you try and place or balance a putter horizontally by its shaft on a finger or a solid base, the face of the putter points directly up in the sky.  That makes it face balanced.  However, when the face isn't facing up- perhaps towards a horizon, it's deemed as the putter is "toe balanced".

So in layman's terms, what's the benefit?

•  

Here is a illustration that should clear this up........

•  

miniwarmth
    noeldaofI'm not sure if there are technical terms for it, but it's pretty simple...

So in layman's terms, what's the benefit?

It isn't necessarily a benefit, it is more of which properly fits your stroke.  For whatever reason I feel I put best with putters that are almost face balanced (Newport Longneck, Golo) or putters with a lot of toe hang like a Del Mar or Newport 1.5.   Quarter toe hangs for whatever reason act squirrely in my hands!  

•  

I'm the opposite DG.  I putt better with my Newport 2 than GoLo's or flow necks.

I found though that was after changing to a Pistolero style grip that fits my hands better.

•  

RMH49
    JAT. nstead of lead tape, I think you can buy a variety of weights to insert in the sole of the putter. Would look better than lead tape.

I actually put the lead tape under the handle side and counter weight it to make it feel heavier at the face end when its actually not...and you don't see the tape either under the handle