Forums

NFL Concussion Report - Update

• 4617 points

Here is a link to the latest NFL concussion report. Pretty amazing how many players have been officially diagnosed with head injuries this year.  This has to be a more than looming problem for the NFL. While they had settled a class action suit files by former players with injuries, how do they respond to this level of injury when medicine quite conclusively shows that these injuries can be severely debilitating post career? And we all know the average NFL career isn't very long....

www.pbs.org/.../concussion-watch

•  

Another reason to teach your kids how to play golf...

• 2628 points

it is not just the N.F.L. The N.H.L. and M.L.B. are also dealing with the issue.  I would expect that we will see improvements to the headgear in the next few years in addition to the rule changes. I have played in a few Pro-Ams with some retired pro athletes and in most cases they have to live various  sports related  injuries for life.  The biggest injury most of us golfers have to deal with is a bruised ego.

•  

Maybe this is why my mom did not want me to play football when I was in high school back in the late 50s.  Had high school coaches trying to recruit me out of grammer school.  Big old fast country boy.  When the pros are as big and fast as they are it is amazing that more concussions do not occur.  The impact of these collisions is incredible.....this constant pounding takes it's toil...look at Ali....want to cry....not a football player....but took a lot of hits to the head.....

• 4131 points

You makes your picks and you take your chances....They have the ability to make other career choices.

• 4617 points

Chuck, your Mom's intuition keeping you away from football was probably on the mark. Think about all of the collisions football  players undergo before the select few make it the pros. Very scary! I played hockey as a kid and in high school and college. I didn't absorb too many head blows, bit clearly the same pounding has has massively I'll effects on a large number of pros in that sport. There isn't a piece of padding or helmet design that really protects. It will be a huge challenge to address this issue...

• 1373 points

Ali is a great example.  I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was in high school.  Hands down, one of the most pleasant and gracious people I've met in my life.  

Dallin is right, I've been teaching the boys to play golf.  When they ask about playing football, I change the subject.  They're only 4 and 5 now, but I'm sure they'll start asking as they get older and they see more of their friends playing football.

• 4617 points

MarkWDallasTx
    You makes your picks and you take your chances....They have the ability to make other career choices.

I agree with you Mark though the crux of the issue and why this is news is the fact that organized professional sports involving contact and the "minors" of these sports, corresponding organized collegiate sports,  until now have disputed that facts that this Frontline report highlights. I think that if all of the medical facts concerning repeated blows to the head are fully and fairly examined and publicized, that risks of playing these contact sports are acknowledged by ALL involved including those who make billions of dollars from these sports, then you do have a basis for allowing free choice. If the NFL, NHL, MLB and others acknowledge the danger of playing then you do in fact make your pick and take your chance and you should be fully allowed to do so...Not sure that is the case right now...I doubt that NFL officials would step up and state that their sport has killed and irreparably harmed their players lives and that is simply the cost of playing in the league..

• 4131 points

Given what we know now; will football still be played in 10years?

• 5292 points

Golf seems like a much better pick than some of the more contact oriented sports.  You can play this game well into your old age.  One of my good buddies retired from the NFL after 12 years as a starting middle linebacker and I see first hand how football can impact your body.  Over time, the injuries from the field seem to be getting worse and worse and more debilitating.  I have two young boys and, while I think kids should be encouraged  to try whatever sports they are interested in, I will certainly steer them away from the "heavy contact" sports.