Forums

Competing from different tees

• 2383 points

Wondering if nyone has run into this at "tournaments" or events.  How do you handle handicaps when players compete from different tees in an event.  For example we want to promote participation so seniors will compete vs others who may play our standard tees in events or on mens day for best balls etc.  Do not want to have flights but one field.  Any suggestions?

•  

I ALWAYS PLAY FROM THE FRONT TEES (I'M 75+).

MY HANDICAP IS BASED ON THE TEES I PLAY FROM.

SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM. IF A PERSON TEES UP FRONT AND HITS THE TEE SHOT 240 YARDS THEY A DEFINATELY ON THE WRONG TEE AND SOMEONE SHOULD SAY SOMETHING TO THEM..

IMHO,,,,LOL.

•  

I you are playing handicap/net the USGA has guidelines for determining proper handicap when different tees are used.  (basically you are playing different golf courses with different index ratings and slopes).

for example on my course - the white tee index is 71.7,  the orange tee index is 68.9 =  this equates to a 3 shot difference thus players from the white tee get to add three shots to there course handicap or you can go the opposite direction and take 3 shots off of the orange tee players course handicap.

See Below

3-5. Players Competing from Different Tees or Men and Women from Same Tees

a. Different Tees: Men vs. Men; Women vs. Women; Women vs. Men

Different tees usually have different Ratings. Because a USGA Course Ratingreflects the probable score of a scratch golfer, the higher-rated course is more difficult, and the player playing from the set of tees with the higher USGA Course Rating receives additional strokeY ) ***s) equal to the difference between each USGA Course Rating, with .5 or greater rounded upward. The additional strokeY ) ***s) are added to the Course Handicap of the player playing from the higher-rated set of tees. (See Decision 3-5/1.)

• 5298 points

Generally the different tees have a different slope and course rating that will impact the handicap applied to a player.  At our course, there is a two stroke difference in the handicap between the blue tees and the white tees.  Players over 70 have the choice in tournaments to play from the white tees, as opposed to the blue tees, but must reduce their handicap by two strokes.

•  

i think it will depend on what type of tournament.  if it's more of an informal scramble, then tee it from where you always play it.  i play numerous tournaments that have a rule for older players and younger players to play a tee (or two) up.  if it's more of an individual stroke play, then follow what Bobby said.  but whatever you decide, i encourage you to make it happen.  one of the great things about golf, it's a sport where players of varying abilities can all compete equally.

•  

Perfectly said Bobby....

•  

I agree with bobby!

•  

It is a simple solution and is covered by USGA unless most of the people playing in tournament do not have handicaps.....well explained Bobby.....the golf pro at the courses  should know how to set these up......this has not been a problem at our tournaments......no handicap you play at zero and tee from from a legimate tee as determined by the tournament committee....

•  

[quote user="Go Hokies"]I you are playing handicap/net the USGA has guidelines for determining proper handicap when different tees are used.  (basically you are playing different golf courses with different index ratings and slopes).

for example on my course - the white tee index is 71.7,  the orange tee index is 68.9 =  this equates to a 3 shot difference thus players from the white tee get to add three shots to there course handicap or you can go the opposite direction and take 3 shots off of the orange tee players course handicap.

See Below

3-5. Players Competing from Different Tees or Men and Women from Same Tees

a. Different Tees: Men vs. Men; Women vs. Women; Women vs. Men

Different tees usually have different Ratings. Because a USGA Course Ratingreflects the probable score of a scratch golfer, the higher-rated course is more difficult, and the player playing from the set of tees with the higher USGA Course Rating receives additional strokeY ) ***s) equal to the difference between each USGA Course Rating, with .5 or greater rounded upward. The additional strokeY ) ***s) are added to the Course Handicap of the player playing from the higher-rated set of tees. (See Decision 3-5/1.)[/quote

THANKS ***. GOOD EXPLANATION.

• 2383 points

Go Hokies -- Thank you I went to the USGA handicap section and found the info you referred to.  The following make it easily understandable:

www.usga.org/.../handicap_answer.asp

it includes references or links to more info one of which is this and gives a good example to calculate it.

www.usga.org/.../section_3-5_brochure.pdf

this also sheds light.  www.usga.org/.../handicap_answer.asp

We have had this come up recently as more players are realizing that playing forward can be more enjoyable.  Also we have been hearing complaints from players that some seniors have been winning skins on our mens days more regularly as they have just been using the course handicap for the specific tees and not doing the second adjustment that is referred to in the USGA for course rating.  (I also found you can subtract the difference rather than adding it to those playing the longer tees ---

3-5/1. Adjusting for the Difference in USGA Course Rating between Two Sets of Tees when Most of the Field is Playing from the Higher-rated Set of Tees

Q: When adjusting for the difference in USGA Course Rating between two sets of tees, a player playing from the higher-rated set of tees must add the difference in USGA Course Rating to the player's Course Handicap. In a competition with a field of 100 players, in which 88 are playing the back tees and 12 are playing the forward tees, instead of adding the difference in USGA Course Rating to the Course Handicap of each of the 88 players, could the committee subtract it from the Course Handicap of the 12 players playing the lower-rated set of tees?

A: Yes. The Committee may subtract the difference in rating in such cases since the overall effect will be the same.

here is the link to the USGA on this…..   www.usga.org/.../Decision-03)  

Thanks to all the FJC for their comments.  

•  

good info as I try to lobby my golf league for something just like this...having the lower handicapped players from one set of tees and the higher handicapped players from another set of tees...

• 2383 points

We have been looking at it because of our senior players and the addition of a new set of SR tees for next season.  The tees will actually be a composite of our forward and middle tees.  Seems some people still think the forward are the woman's tees and avoid playing those as a true set of tees.  they are amenable to playing a composite set.  

•  

The composite set of tees can be rated/re-rated for Par/Slope etc thus giving you a standard to work from.  our week-day senior group has players playing the most forward set along with our Orange Tees (we have Red/Orange/White/Maroon/Black [this is the 7700 yard version of the course - put out for some tournament play only]).  The NCAA regional played our course at 7300-7400.

•  

I played in a Ryder Cup format event and you were paired up based on handicap. I told them I was a 5 handicap from back tees at my home course, which is true (I hadn't played well in a while I was lucky if I could break 80 leading up to the event). They didn't consider the fact we were playing a 6500 Yd course, 1 tee up, and paired me with a guy who was also a 5 at that particular course from 1 tee up. I smoked him, because I had short irons into most of the par 5's and I could hit 3 woods into wedge range on all par 4s. He was complainging saying I was a sandbagger cause I shot 74 but they didn't take into account the different indexes from tees.