Forums

Edwin Watts Back to Business

• 719 points

The manager of the Salt Lake EW is a great to work with. When I have questions, he's pretty straight forward. Looks like Worldwide Golf Shops also own Roger Dunn (CA & HI), The Golf Mart (Nothern CA & San Diego), Van's Golf Shops (Az) and Golfer's Warehouse .(CT, MA, RI). So it doesn't look like they'll be competing against each other. Looks like they have a "PARnership" Loyalty Program. Looks like 2% back, email discount specials, sale events, new product launches, and catalogs. 2% back wouldn't be bad. At least you could "bank" the points.

• 719 points

Heard the EW in Utah will assume their old name of Uinta Golf. Hope the new owners give them back the flexibility they once had. They would hold an item for up to three days, and offered a 60 day lay away plan. I suspect the new owners willl want the stores to get rid of old inventory.

•  

Just read in the business section this morning that the shopping center that EW is attached to is in jeopardy also, as well as the well established regional mall across the street.  Seems the whole area is in trouble.  The shopping center and mall are on the auction block for discounted prices.   Seems Sun Captial boo booed by moving the location of Edwin Watts a few years ago to a site where it is hard to see from the main highway.  Sometimes bigger is not better and the dollar per square foot is just not there.  All employees at this location are seeking employment elsewhere.  Only one I know of is staying in the golf business, other than the regional manager and he will relocate to Blufton/Hilton Head area with the new owners of  EW.   They still have not dropped prices greatly yet..........and their inventory shows it.......the secret to retail....location...location...location....

•  

Retail is a crazy business and that is one of the reasons I got out of it in the late 80s.  I was in our Edwin Watts this week picking up some Golfpride grips which were 50% off during their liquidation sale and found out that after their sale is over with, the liquidator plans on reopening that location again as an Edwin Watts Golf Store.  I guess a reorganization is what it needed to hopefully make it profitable in the future.  It appears one of the original employees is stayng as well as my friend will stay on as the Regional Manager and not have to move to Blufton, SC.  As the world turns.   ;-)