Forums

Edwin Watts Back to Business

•  

fredcloss
    Say it ain't so Dallin! There aren't going to be any stores besides golfsmith anywhere near you. Plus, that store had really good people.

There's nothing up here now.  Luckily, they are keeping the Southlake and Ft Worth stores open. The closest golf retail store to me will be the Golfsmith down by I-20.

• 1393 points

pistolpete
    Professor3Is this the future of the off-course golf stores? It seems like these companies ebb and flow with the economy. Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy...have all closed stores in some areas and opened new stores in others. EW used to have some kind of partnership with Sears but when I went in to Sears EW was gone and they said it didn't last very long. With the internet it must be difficult for them. Likewise, with the growth of custom club-fitting I'd imagine fewer people will buy clubs off the shelf.

Retail of all ilk is undergoing huge disruption and "creative destruction" thank to the Internet. The playing field is starting to level out a bit as states like Massachusetts impose sales taxes on internet purchases originating in their states. Amazon is the big gorilla sitting on the couch in plain sight that retailers of all stripes must view with nothing but trepidation!

Agreed, but the big box stores don't do themselves any favors. The one huge advantage they have over the internet is the ability to use customer service to their advantage. Unfortunately, when you walk into some of those stores they're either non-golfers, who you'd never even ask for advice, or so full of themselves and condescending. Sometime I ask them, hey, didn't I see you on Golf Central?

I think it's Golfsmith that has PGA professionals. You'd think these guys would at the door greeting people and selling the advantages custom club fitting with lifetime lie and loft adjustments...but I don't see that at all.

All of that to say, human interaction is huge and people would probably pay a little more for a friendly smile and some sound advice.

•  

A liquidator has purchased a number of the Edwin Watts stores and those will be closing the end of February 2014.  Those are the stores that are having the 10-30% off sales.  They will not be honoring Gift Cards or credits if you have any at those stores......

• 691 points

EW moved into Utah when they bought five Uinta Golf stores. I stopped by shortly after the filing and before the sale. I have two stores I frequent quite a bit. I hope they don't close them. Over the years, I've got to know a few of the guys who are avid golfers and are willing to take the time to ask you how you're game's coming, the weather, etc. Big box stores don't do that. Most have such a turn over, there's someone new every time you go in. I sometimes buy used golf equipment. Big box stores don't have them. As long as you know what you're looking for, you're good to go.  

•  

They just went to 40% off today......big ad in paper.....time to load up on Christmas presents.....have to see if they have any good deals on FJ items.......

• 691 points

I stopped by the Salt Lake store. The manager said all five Utah stores will survive, at least for now.

•  

I received another email that one of the EW stores close to me is closing with everything 10-40% off with an additional 10% through Sunday.  May try to stop by this afternoon to see if they have any good FJ gear left.  It seems that anything you would want usually falls into the 10% off and not the 40% off category or is already gone.

•  

ChuckZ
    They just went to 40% off today......big ad in paper.....time to load up on Christmas presents.....have to see if they have any good deals on FJ items.......

Most of the items in this store are 10% off and apparel is 20% off.....got better deals there before the sale.....the liquidator is going to have to go deeper for me......parking lot was pretty full yesterday and today........not a lot of people were buying yesterday......no good deals yet.........signs all over the building says 10-30% off and the newspaper ad said up to 40% off......but I honestly did not see anything 30 or 40 percent off.......talked to the manager and he said he is lining up employment but not in the golf industry.....and one of the employees, who I did not recognize was talking to customers about how some of the employees were going to try to get another EW started later down the line in Charleston.......we'll see.....rather optimistic.....

•  

Dallin
    I received an email the other night that the store by my house is closing so they are selling everything 10-30 % off. I've been meaning to head over there but all the ice in the roads has kept me inside the house.  My only real complaint about Edwin Watts is their loyalty rewards program - they collect your data, but you don't get anything but a bunch of emails.  To complete with PGA superstore and Golf Galaxy, you have to have a rewards program that gives you points and discount coupons every now and then.

Sounds kinda like the same program Golfsmith had in place...they called it the Players Club...never got anything from them...was sort of a bummer as I thought discount coupons or something would be forthcoming...

•  

Mondo
    DallinI received an email the other night that the store by my house is closing so they are selling everything 10-30 % off. I've been meaning to head over there but all the ice in the roads has kept me inside the house.  My only real complaint about Edwin Watts is their loyalty rewards program - they collect your data, but you don't get anything but a bunch of emails.  To complete with PGA superstore and Golf Galaxy, you have to have a rewards program that gives you points and discount coupons every now and then.

Sounds kinda like the same program Golfsmith had in place...they called it the Players Club...never got anything from them...was sort of a bummer as I thought discount coupons or something would be forthcoming...

I'm part of the Player's Club at the PGA Superstore.  It's not in my area, so I don't go very often, but I usually get a $10 gift certificate for my birthday, and you get another $10 off if you spend so much.  Last year at Easter I bought a hybrid, so by the time I went back in the summer, I had two $10 off coupons.  Nothing much, but it sure beats getting nothing.

•  

Mike_C
    I received another email that one of the EW stores close to me is closing with everything 10-40% off with an additional 10% through Sunday.  May try to stop by this afternoon to see if they have any good FJ gear left.  It seems that anything you would want usually falls into the 10% off and not the 40% off category or is already gone.

Mike, I went to the I-30 store and loaded up on FJ shirts, shorts and socks at 10-20% off the already discounted price and picked up a 913H for $103, along with golf pride grips at 20% off.

•  

Thanks for the insight, Freddy.  Ended up out on the golf course yesterday afternoon instead of the EW store (funny how that worked out with the temp back up to 60 degrees).  I will have to stop by on the way home tonight and check out the deals at EW on this side of town.

•  

The Edwin Watts location where I shop (there are two in Memphis) is great.  The manager is a good guy and will work with you on prices and trades.  He will also match prices on the internet.  Probably why that location does a good bit of business.  If he was allowed to run the store on his own, it would be even more successful.  

• 10 points

my local store is closing although i never really shopped there. however i did go the other day and picked up some FJ apparel items and got as much as 30% off on those items. Shirts, Sweaters and Wind Shirts..Awesome!!!

•  

memphisunited
    The Edwin Watts location where I shop (there are two in Memphis) is great.  The manager is a good guy and will work with you on prices and trades.  He will also match prices on the internet.  Probably why that location does a good bit of business.  If he was allowed to run the store on his own, it would be even more successful.

Met the manager on Popular/Perkins and he is a super guy......when I was there over Thanksgiving he was hopeful about the new owners and the opportunity for them to return to business as usual......I hope they get the opportunity.....even that is a new location, EW has been in Memphis around Popular for many years.....was there before I moved in 1984.....