Forums

Cold weather food

•  

TNT009
    Clam Chaddoh..

i've seen your posts about the weather.  i'm not taking cold weather advice from you!  haha.

•  

Hey Bholly do you really have Jack in a bowl and take it with a spoon????

Nothing like a good sausage, onion, and pepper on a hogie roll.

•  

TNT009
    Clam Chaddoh..

Amen! Nothing beats some hot Chowda, with lots of black pepper in a sourdough bread bowl.

• 4131 points

ChuckZ
    TNT009Clam Chaddoh..

Could not live without my Claim Chowder as well.  Throw in some oyster crackers and I am a happy camper.

Does anyone have a good recipre for Clam Chowder that they would be willing to share? I would be willing to sign a nondisclosure to protect such a valuable family treasure.

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    ChuckZTNT009Clam Chaddoh..

Could not live without my Claim Chowder as well.  Throw in some oyster crackers and I am a happy camper.

Does anyone have a good recipre for Clam Chowder that they would be willing to share? I would be willing to sign a nondisclosure to protect such a valuable family treasure.

No cook here, Mark.....neither is my wife, with her busy schedule.....if we can't buy it or heat it in the microwave it....well it just won't fly.....Campbell's Chunky New England Clam Chowder (healthy choice), with of course lots of black pepper and Oyster Crackers.......a reciept (a old term for recipe) is something you get when you go shopping for golf equipment.......  :-)

•  

pistolpete

noeldaof

"Portuguese Sausage and Kale soup!"

Ham hocks or smoked pork neck bones are fantastic in it (cook it to tender)

It has been a long while since we've had some good Portuguese sausages.  It isn't easy to find.  Please share if you know where we can order some.  A friend used to bring them in from the Boston area.

Thank you.

I live in the part of the country that was the general region where Portuguese immigrants settled - Lots of people of Portuguese descent here on Cape Cod as well are nearby cities of Fall River and New Bedford.  

Here are a couple of the better known purveyors of Portuguese food stuffs:

www.amaralsmarket.com/.../meats  Great stuff!

http://www.melloschourico.com/ 

http://www.gasparssausage.com/  This brand is found in all the local markets in the area where I live...Try the Portuguese muffins as well - The POrtuguese equivalent to the English muffin.

GOOD FOODS!

#PistolPete, you ROCK!

You are very kind.  I have taken good notes of your suggestions.  This will come handy and will be a neat surprize for a few visitors over Christmas Eve.  Not only that, it would make it something special to look forward on a short daylight after a cold round, but I will also be the star hero at home to my family.  :-)

Wishing you an early and a Merry Christmas, my fellow FJC follower.

May all your putts be purely struck and all goes in the hole!

Many thanks!

No'l

• 1146 points

Chowdahh is always a great choice...New England, of course. But what do you eat on the course during the cold season?

•  

Professor3

Chowdahh is always a great choice...New England, of course. But what do you eat on the course during the cold season?

Trail mix-  Fuji apples were great, too!  Bananas always good.

• 3688 points

"Chicken ***" (just because of its looks)

www.kraftrecipes.com/.../stove-top-easy-chicken-bake-76203.aspx

This is a great recipe that we like, we usually substitute the veggies with green beans only.

• 5298 points

On the course, it is the same as anytime I need a little energy.  A power bar, trail mix or something similar.  Wish there were a warmer solution for an on the course snack in the winter months.... I'm sure somebody carries around a Thermos with ???

• 4617 points

No'l,  Enjoy the bounty of most interesting ethic foods! NOt sure where the economy of POrtugal stands currently - It is either not good or really not good - but a marvelous country to visit with beautiful beaches, fantastic golf courses, and a warm people who love life. it shows in their food and thankfully, a culinary culture that endures and thrives here in Massachusetts along Buzzards Bay!! Enjoy! And Merry Christmas to you and family!!

• 544 points

I can offer a few suggestions of my favorites from NC, even though it is going to be in the 70s today.  Both are versions of beans and sausage and can be made either in a large pot on the stove or crockpot to slow cook during your round:

1.  Lima beans with smoked sausage.  Use large white dried lima or butterbeans.  Great northern beans can be used as well.  Add to beans large pot with water, one large diced onion, one sliced smoked sausage, and a few bay leaves.  I like the hillshire farm brand smoked sausage.  These are already cooked, so just slice and throw into pot and cook until desired consistency.  Add salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste.  

2.  Black-eyed peas with fresh country sausage.  1-2 lbs fresh country sausage rope (this is kinda exclusive to eastern NC, basically just ground pork in casing with some sage and pepper seasoning.  Less distinct flavor than an italian sausage or bratwurst.  Most any large link sausage can be substituted).  Brown sausage and then slice into bite size pieces.  Put dried blackeyed peas into a large pot add water, one large diced onion, and the sausage pieces.  Cook until the beans are soft.  Add salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste.  

• 4617 points

I've got to try out bcp's NC bean faves! Love my Boston baked beans and so any bean dish I will surely enjoy! And for all of you out there who love a chowder, know that clams aren't the only fish to make a chowder sing! Boston Buzza and others from Beantown and the area may remember the No Name restaurant in Boston. Sat out at the end of a Pier in the harbor and in the 1970s served a very tasty lunch special of fish chowder and Portuguese bread ( a soft, round loaf - delicious and perfect with chowder! The fishing boats used to dock at the end of the pier - off of the boat and into the kitchen went the fish! Cannot get much fresher than that! The fish of choice for their chowder: Codfish.

Here is a recipe that I love for a good fish chowder. It comes from a local cookbook titled "Woods Hole Cooks Something Up - Recipes From a Cape Cod Village". Published by the Woods Hole Historical Museum, it is a compilation of local favorite recipes across all manner of meals - I love this chowder:

Baked Fish Chowder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

4 potatoes thinly sliced

3 medium onions thinly sliced

2 pounds firm white fish - cod, haddock, etc.

1/2 cup chopped celery leaves

4 whole cloves

1-2 bay leaves

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground pepper ( or to taste)

1 clove garlic minced

1-2 tsp of dill weed

1/2 stick butter - unsalted

2 cups boiling water

1/2 cup dry vermouth

1 cup whole milk

1 cup light cream

Coat a deep oven-proof casserole with butter

layer potatoes, fish (whole fillets) in casserole. Sprinkle celery leaves,  bay leaves, cloves, salt, pepper, garlic and dill weed over fish. Dot with butter.

Pour boiling water and vermouth over all. Cover

Bake for one hour in preheated 350 degree oven. Remove casserole from oven and add milk and cream, Heat and serve. You may prepare ahead and refrigerate or freeze but do not add milk and cream until you reheat later on stove top over low heat. When warm, add milk and cream and heat to taste.

This chowder is a bit of Cape Cod heaven!! Serve with your favorite bread slathered liberally with butter!!

•  

gotta go with Chili or a good Chicken noodle soup...maybe throw some chili over a hotdog or two...

• 1146 points

I've been trying to think of something that can take the chill out of the bones when it gets nasty...of course, I probably shouldn't be out there if it gets that bad.