Forums

Cold weather food

• 4934 points

I am looking for some new cold weather food recipes for post golf.

I have some success with a couple of new recipes this Fall.

Chicken noodle soup

Spicey cheese and sausage grits

Peach cobbler

Does anyone have an old standby that I should try?

• 2776 points

A nice homemade stew is always nice post round.

•  

Chili is the best thing for cold weather.  I used to live in the mountains of CO, and every year we would have a chili cook off in the beginning of December.  Winner got their ingredients paid, a case of cold ones, the Golden Spoon (a wood spoon spray painted gold) and bragging right.  I've got some amazing recopies if you're interested I can PM you.

I was always a judge so I feel like I was most likely the real winner each year.

Since we're in the spirit of sharing... tell me a little bit more about those Spicy Cheese and Sausage grits...

•  

"Portuguese Sausage and Kale soup!"

Ham hocks or smoked pork neck bones are fantastic in it (cook it to tender)

It has been a long while since we've had some good Portuguese sausages.  It isn't easy to find.  Please share if you know where we can order some.  A friend used to bring them in from the Boston area.

Thank you.

•  

I have a beef stew recipe where I grill up the meat, then braise it with garlic and oil. Once cooked I simmer the whole thing in water for several hours until the meat is like butter. Then I add the veggies and simmer till done. It's awesome with a pretzel roll!

I also have a chili recipe like Josh mentioned.

Makes a cold day on the links melt away!

•  

Chicken Tortilla Soup is a favorite of mine.

Chicken and Dumplings

Potato Soup

TT

• 5064 points

noeldaof
    "Portuguese Sausage and Kale soup!"

Ham hocks or smoked pork neck bones are fantastic in it (cook it to tender)

It has been a long while since we've had some good Portuguese sausages.  It isn't easy to find.  Please share if you know where we can order some.  A friend used to bring them in from the Boston area.

Thank you.

I live in the part of the country that was the general region where Portuguese immigrants settled - Lots of people of Portuguese descent here on Cape Cod as well are nearby cities of Fall River and New Bedford.  

Here are a couple of the better known purveyors of Portuguese food stuffs:

https://www.amaralsmarket.com/products-page/meats/  Great stuff!

http://www.melloschourico.com/ 

http://www.gasparssausage.com/  This brand is found in all the local markets in the area where I live...Try the Portuguese muffins as well - The POrtuguese equivalent to the English muffin.

GOOD FOODS!

• 5064 points

LOVE chili! Shoot over some recipes Josh!! In the meanwhile, follow the link to a report about the 2013 chili festival on Martha's Vineyard a few miles away from my location on Cape Cod. Strategically held in the middle of January when folks are coming down from the highs of the holiday season and the cold has set in, this chili contest and party rocks the island! It is becoming a destination party and the chili sampling isn't a ad way to spend a Saturday - In fact, it is a darn nice way to spend a cold dark day in the middle of New England winter!

http://www.iocapecod.com/lifestyle/marthas_vineyard_prepares_for_wmvys_big_chili_contest

•  

Jack Daniels Soup

• 1716 points

I was leaning chili except in Texas every day is a good day for chili.

• 1652 points

I have my moms chicken and noodles recipe, and it is killer.  Have a couple of her soup recipes, but I have yet to try them.  

I like chili, potato soup, or broccoli cheese soup on cold days to help thaw and warm up.  Might have to make a pot of soup this weekend since it is gonna stay cold in these parts.

•  

Clam Chaddoh..

•  

Love chicken tortilla soup, too. Or put a beef roast or pork butt in the crock pot with the appropriate seasonings to get the added bonus of opening the door to wonderful aromas!

•  

TNT009
    Clam Chaddoh..

Could not live without my Claim Chowder as well.  Throw in some oyster crackers and I am a happy camper.  

• 4943 points

TNT009
    Clam Chaddoh..

+1...any chowder is good by me!