Forums

Wedge Help

•  

Over the past few years I have been struggling with my wedge game.  Different makes, lofts, etc.  I need some help.  

First, except for my annual spring golf trip to Florida, all of my golf is player here in Western, PA and Eastern OH.  Most fairways I play on are pretty lush and none are ever cut down to pool table felt height.

Second, I take a pretty nice divot with my wedges, ofted "pelt"type depending on the softness of the ground.

Third: The sand on these courses is not very fluffy.  It is often times similar to sandbox sand though many courses have a lighter whitish sand.

Fourth,  my pitching wedge has a loft of 44*

5th, around the greens the ball often sits down in the grass so far that it is actually touching the dirt with grass all around it.

I can use either 2 or 3 wedges in addition to my pitching wedge.  Would like some help on selecting brand, lofts, bounce for both 2 additional wedges and for 3 additional wedges.

I know the vokey wedges will be the most popular brand, but if you have had good luck with another brand, i would like to know about that brand.

the wedge spectrum has become so varied and complicated that I really need some help.

Thanks,  Gramps

•  

PS   Has anyone had any experience with the Tour Edge Exotics Proto 1.1 Wedge?

•  

Bruce, send me a PM with your phone number and I will call and we can chat.....

• 1376 points

Bruce, sounds like your game is a lot better than mine, but I'll be happy to weigh in.

I'm quite familiar with the courses you talked about, I lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years.  Used to play Butler's Lakeside all the time, amongst others, but that was probably my favorite.  

My go-to wedge for many years is my 56* Vokey.  I'm on my third, since it gets such heavy use.  I opt for more bounce, 14*.  Particularly in the conditions you talk about with the ball sitting down, I like having the extra bounce.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone else have the complete opposite.  For the sand shots though, I used my 60* (another brand) which was cast and had little bounce.  It cut through the denser sand a little better in those circumstances.  

Down here in Atlanta, I still lean primarily on the 56, with the 60 being used more for sub-50 yard shots.  Thought about getting a 52, but haven't really found a need for it.  

Hope this helps you out.

•  

Good chat,  let us all know how it turns out.

•  

My first question would be:  does the course you play the most require you to hit flop shots?  (Since I play a Dye course - that is almost a required shot).

What bounce do you have on your current wedges?  does you wedge divot have toe or heel dig?

The simple 3 wedge approach would be something in the 50 range - then a 54 - 58  or 56 - 60 combo (just my two cents)  You would want at least one them to have a bounce that works good out of the sand you play most of the time.

•  

19hole
    Good chat,  let us all know how it turns out.

Great info .  Thanks so much

•  

Bruce, let me know what you come up with.  I have almost the same requirements as you (44* PW, same type of grass and fairways in Central PA, same type of sand, only want 2 or 3 more wedges).  Only difference for me is my divots, I usually take a shallow divot or none at all.  I thought I would want something with low bounce, but when I tested some Vokey wedges in the spring, the ones with more bounce preformed better.  However, the wind was so strong that day, I take everything I learned that day with a grain of salt.

By the way, we should try to find a course about half way between us next summer.

•  

Where do you live?

•  

You guys might be within driving distance for me also.

•  

COOL!

• 1160 points

I would probably take a wedge lesson from a P.G.A. pro to make sure it's the arrow and not the indian. Many of my paying partners take wedge only lessons and rarely is the fix the same.

•  

I guess 19th hole took care of everything.  Always nice to have a pro on the books with us.

•  

Had a great discussion with him.  thanks for your input too Hokies

•  

BRUCE
    Where do you live?

Chambersburg.  a little less than 2 hours west of Somerset.