Forums

Golf in the Olympics

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    GolfGuyInTxMy only objection is I would prefer to see amateurs competing.

I agree. Watching the U.S. basketball team put together the "Dream Team". Instead of the top amateurs.. I am losing interest in events that are dominated by professional atheletes competing in the Olympics.

unfortunately just about every sport has pros competing.  it's just sports like basketball get more attention because they get paid so much.  but usain bolt, michael phelps, shaun white, and lindsey vonn are all professionals.

•  

Originally I thought it would be a cool idea. Not so sure now. I think you will see a field just like the WGC events minus a few guys and I was hoping the Olympics might bring some new fresh blood to the forefront. I doubt it will be any better then Tennis or Cycling where the top pro's just win the medals anyways.

Maybe they could just keep it fresh by using only players 23 and under.

to the argument about Bolt, Phelps, Shaun white and Vonn , remember that being a professional in an olympic event means people really only know you from the olympics and they don't care about all the years in between.

• 1458 points

that's the odd thing though right? i don't seem to take issue when it's professional athletes in the non-dominant sports like track and field, skiing, skating, badminton...those sports need all the attention they can get.

•  

RANDYWILDMAN
    Originally I thought it would be a cool idea. Not so sure now. I think you will see a field just like the WGC events minus a few guys and I was hoping the Olympics might bring some new fresh blood to the forefront. I doubt it will be any better then Tennis or Cycling where the top pro's just win the medals anyways.

Maybe they could just keep it fresh by using only players 23 and under.

to the argument about Bolt, Phelps, Shaun white and Vonn , remember that being a professional in an olympic event means people really only know you from the olympics and they don't care about all the years in between.

that's true that most people don't care about them during the off years, but the point i was making, if you want to ban all professionals, you're going to dramatically change the Olympics.

•  

it might be interesting if the top amateur from each country was part of the "team."

• 5457 points

I think it should be restricted to Amateurs. We already have enough professional events.

•  

kmcmellen
    I agree that it should be amateurs.  That should also be true of all Olympic sports, in my opinion.

I agree with both of you (GolfGuyInTx and kmcmellen) however keep in mind that with the large financial TV purchases by the network...there would be no way in heck they would allow amateurs in the big revenue TV sports...look at basketball and for that matter hockey...

•  

I never said ban professionals. I said limit this event to under 23. Men's soccer has some age limits on it's professionals in the olympics.

I understand your point about "olympic event pros" I personally know 2 Olympic gold medalists from very minor sports and they hardly made any money from it. In comparison a PGA player like Briny Baird who is a good player but has never won a PGA event has won over 13 million dollars and he has  little change of ever making the team let alone winning a medal.

• 2653 points

Does anyone know how or who will be selecting the team for a country?  most sports have a qualifying system - but will it be the PGA in america picking for the USA and how many players will compromise a team?  Is it stroke play, match play, Fourball, etc? any details floating around?  

•  

Pony
    Does anyone know how or who will be selecting the team for a country?  most sports have a qualifying system - but will it be the PGA in america picking for the USA and how many players will compromise a team?  Is it stroke play, match play, Fourball, etc? any details floating around?

it's world rankings.  Top 15 automatically are in, except a country can only have a max of 4 (although, the max of 4 might have changed).  after that each country gets a max of their two highest ranked players.

• 12 points

The Olympics will never be what the majors are in golf. I don't really think golf adds anything to the Olympics.

I do think you guys are on the mark in that it may increase interest in Asia, particularly China

• 5457 points

In the wake of the deer spray scandal with Vijay, it will be interested to see how the drug testing policies of the Olympics impact golf.