Forums

Putter Tuneup and Lesson Learned

•  

I have been having problems with my putting lately and took my pet Scottys into the shop today for a tuneup.  After close examination it was determined that they needed a major reallignment.  The loft was off by six degrees on one and five on the other and the angle was off four degrees on both.  The ball was bouncing off the face on both and one was going right and the other left.  After the tuneup they seemed to check out and the ball was again rolling smoothly and on line.  One word of advise that was given to me;  "Don't lean on your putter when you are on the green waiting to putt.  It will cause your putter to get out of allignment very quickly".  Lesson learned!  Maybe it is not the Indian.  : )

• 5143 points

wow! That was some serious re-adjusting Chuck! Glad you had the sense that it might not be your stroke or that you know your stroke well enough to feel that it just wasn't that off....The "before and"after" must have been eye opening..

•  

Interesting observations, Chuck.  Have never considered getting putter loft/lie checked.

• 1764 points

Softer metal putters like Forged irons need a tweak from time to time.

•  

Chuck, I got the same feedback from a club fitter. Said the same thing about other clubs too, that leaning on them (and slamming them on the ground) can change to loft/lie more than we think.

•  

So throwing it after a three jack isn't a good thing?

• 1362 points

Chuck, those are some large discrepancies given that a putter's loft is usually 3-7 degrees. I never throw my clubs or lean on them excessively but will definitely have to check the lofts and lie angles prior to next season.

•  

Guess not.......especially if you are playing a song on the shaft and oops it snaps.......all depends on the thow....a whirlybird or a tommyhawk chop.......I gave up on that years ago....got to expensive and loss of friends......hate to see you bounce one off the cliffs at TP........guess I better take better care of the Scottys and of the new 714s.....had him change them one degree stronger on 7, 8, 9, PW.......a little two weak for me......

•  

JosephR
    Chuck, those are some large discrepancies given that a putter's loft is usually 3-7 degrees. I never throw my clubs or lean on them excessively but will definitely have to check the lofts and lie angles prior to next season.

My primary putter's loft was on 8 degrees and we set it at 3 (-1 standard loft)  (Newport 2 Notchback 2 Select) and the lie was 67 degree and we moved it to 71 degrees (standard lie) ....major difference.....is just a bad habit I have while waiting on others to putt......and I am a rather large person.....at 6'2" 245lbs.....feel sorry for the putter......hopefully I can find all those birdies I have left on the course the past few weeks.....ha..ha...I should have no excuses now.....right......

•  

Another thing that will change lofts and lies on irons is us range rats that like to hit a lot of balls.  Interesting thoughts on the putter.

• 5021 points

I guess throwing them is a bad thing ;)  I had not considered getting mine checked but will do so for sure!

• 5035 points

ChuckZ
    I have been having problems with my putting lately and took my pet Scottys into the shop today for a tuneup.  After close examination it was determined that they needed a major reallignment.  The loft was off by six degrees on one and five on the other and the angle was off four degrees on both.  The ball was bouncing off the face on both and one was going right and the other left.  After the tuneup they seemed to check out and the ball was again rolling smoothly and on line.  One word of advise that was given to me;  "Don't lean on your putter when you are on the green waiting to putt.  It will cause your putter to get out of allignment very quickly".  Lesson learned!  Maybe it is not the Indian.  : )

Chuck,

Clearly it is the arrow and not the indian.

I haven't thought of having the specs on my putter checked to make sure they are true.

Thanks for the info.

•  

TNT009
    So throwing it after a three jack isn't a good thing?

depends where you throw it.  just aim for something soft.  haha.

• 2911 points

I have a putter fitting every year..........my pro here is great about it $10 and he throws in a little putting tune up. Every  November in what is his slower time before he heads to FL for a couple months.

I would suggest everyone get a fitting at least once.

•  

Found three of those birdies on the back nine today........they are easier to find when you hit the ball closer to the hole from the fairway.......still adapting with the new irons.......of course it was chilly and real windy (at least two clubs today) noreastern winds.....different wardrobe tomorrow.....