Forums

i don't normally read ESPN golf articles but.....

•  

i don't normally read ESPN golf articles but this one has some interesting topics in it.

espn.go.com/.../debate-surrounds-golf-rules-breech-birdies-bogeys

• 4650 points

While there is a lot of publicity surrounding the relatively new phenomenon  of rules violations being called in to Tour officials, I wonder whether this is as prevalent it the media would make it out to be. I see nothing wrong with someone calling in a purported infraction. However, the follow-on and consequence of rules violation needs clarification and/or amendment. As this article suggests, disqualification for signing an incorrect scorecard when the rule violator was not aware he/she had signed an incorrect card is ridiculous. Simply inform the violator of the rule infraction at the time of the violation or during the round and make sure they know the penalty.Put a statute of limitations in place: If the violation is "discovered" after the round by a TV rule watcher, sorry, too late, the score as posted stands.

Can you imagine any other sport allowing a purported rules violation to fester for so long? Baseball: The umps gather and make a decision  - on the spot. And that is the end of the inquiry. It has no more effect upon the outcome of the game. Football? Instant replay to determine the correct outcome. Hockey? Hey, if you can get away with it, rules violations are part of the game. The holding, illegal checking , tripping and other assorted violations not called by one of the refs, is simply part of the ongoing game. Geez, if Gordie Howe had been called for all of the stuff he pulled on corners of the rink with opposing players, he'd still be in the penalty box today decades after retiring! Tennis? Players can challenge a certain number  calls and those challenges are reviewed by a computer. On the spot. Before the next point is played.

Either golf needs to accept the fact that with  widespread electronic viewership come couch tater constables armed with their phones and deal with it on the spot or find a way to block out all offending rules violations and keep the phones of the cyber sheriff's holstered. HIre a TV replay rules guy who sits at each tourney waiting for the calls to come in. Cue up the videotape and make a decision - then alert the player if there is a clear cut violation. I don't think you would see a huge influx of crank calls - too much effort. And the replay guy could easily see if the alleged violation is indeed worthy of review and a penalty. Thi is not outside the realm of possibility... Or ignore all TV call -ins of rules violations...Or cease TV coverage of Tour events! Heh heh heh...

•  

Must admit that I am very confused about the tiger rule and adding two shots a day after completion of the round v DQ.

The Dyson episode didn't look good last week but wondered why he wasn't penalised after the event like TW at the Masters this year.

Any rules officianados care to comment or enlighten me???

• 4203 points

I don't think TV viewers should be allowed to call in infractions. If video footage is going to be used to call infractions; then all players in that event should have the same scrutiny.

•  

Yes, interesting and back to the issues of viewers calling in and reporting violations....after a tournament is over....this debate will continue....after the BC and TW issue....the rule is very specific, which I don't particularly agree with.....I think spike marks should be repairable, like ball marks, but that is one persons opinion and I am sure it shared.......of Pros are probably the only ones wearing metal spikes......  

•  

CROCMAN
    Must admit that I am very confused about the tiger rule and adding two shots a day after completion of the round v DQ.

The Dyson episode didn't look good last week but wondered why he wasn't penalised after the event like TW at the Masters this year.

Any rules officianados care to comment or enlighten me???

At the Masters, the Augusta Rules committee met, looked at the video, and decided no rules were broken.  They then allowed Tiger to sign his card saying he had done nothing wrong.  Later (after his interview) they realized they screwed up and he really did break a rule.  So they ruled that because they screwed up and didn't tell him before he signed his card, they allowed him to continue playing.

If no one had called in, I'm pretty sure he would have been DQ'ed.  During his interview he unknowingly admitted he broke a rule.  That would have been picked up on and because the rules committee wouldn't have already ruled, their only option would have been to DQ him.  Of course this is Augusta and they make their own rules, so in reality they still could have let him play.  but you get the point.  :)

• 5875 points

Personally, I also believe it is unfair for a player to be DQ's after the round for a violation he did not know about.  There needs to be some finality the posting of a score.  Pistolpete lists alot of the other sports where there is a review provision but, once the decision is made it is final.  This seems to be the only fair thing to do. IMHO.

• 1198 points

We have all unknowingly broken a rule or two on the course so that is just a part of playing. The part that concerns me is the dissolving of honor in the game. I guess it depends on what you believe the meaning of is, is.

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    I don't think TV viewers should be allowed to call in infractions. If video footage is going to be used to call infractions; then all players in that event should have the same scrutiny.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head......so if an umpire missing a strike...is it ok for a TV viewer to call in and go back and change the call.....let's get back to the game of golf, let's the player manage their games and the officials officiate what is going on on the course.....if there is an infraction, by all means call it on one another....and move on......like I have said before...the purpose of the rules are to keep the playing field even and fair play.......and move on.....too much finger pointing after the fact...or we could monitor each player by having an official assigned to them watching ever shot......this sounds like what we are striving for......micromanagement of the worst kind......all players should be treated the same, REGARDLESS of their status.....

•  

I will start the fan so the s----- can hit it.

As far as Dyson goes this was probably not his first time tapping down spike marks.  It is the first time he got caught.

As far as the Tiger stuff no need to beat a dead horse, special treatment, would not be the first time.

•  

NCBob, I concur. The part that bothers me that Tiger, being the best, should be the one setting the best of examples. I fear his transgressions will harm the game. My hope is they will inspire ALL golfers to gain more knowledge of the rules and adhere to them better.