Forums

The View from China

•  

Greetings

I've been over in China for the last week on business, mostly in the Shenzhen and Gungdong areas. Guangdong is home to the famous Mission Hills Golf Complex, where some of the European Tour events are played. Haven't gotten to visit it due to time constraints. Tomorrow afternoon I'll head in to Hong Kong for two days and then fly up north to Pu ***, which is outside of Shanghai, where my journey will conclude on Wednesday. Man there are a ton of people over here. And why does it seem like everyone is 15 years old? Crazy......

Trips like this always give you time to think about a variety of things, especially on those sleepless nights and mornings. Plus other unexpected delights, like watching baseball in the middle of the day here (live from Boston) while you're doing paperwork in your room! Made the time go faster too, even though I don't have a horse in the World Series race....

I was pondering how I miss the States, even in all it's craziness. I'm looking forward to getting back home and eating a big old sloppy cheeseburger instead of rice and something that they say was chicken. It's right now like I'm living on rice and Starbucks! So I see an In-N-Out Burger in my future the minute I hit LAX. Or maybe a steak.....

Then of course I'm missing the course. Haven't played golf in over 2 weeks now, which is killing me. This work thing is not doing my golf any favors, and that just ticks me off!

Carry on. See you all real soon......

•  

Sounds exciting, you world traveler!

• 1924 points

No cheeseburgers or steak ? Sounds like an episode of survivor.

•  

Randy, when you get to Shanghai there are a lot of "real" food places in PuDong. Just go down by the Oriental Pearl TV tower and there they are....

•  

Randy,

Enjoy your trip to China...going to Asia is item #13 on my bucket list.  Enjoy that Double-Double from In n Out when you get back home.

•  

Enjoy your travels Randy, hope you make it to the course soon!

•  

Randy, I agree sounds like your getting ready for Survivor China !

• 4493 points

Interesting perspective!  Most people go and throw out the "i never want to go back to the US".  I suspect its more like what you're running into though!  They're just too different.  It'd be nice to visit but I wouldn't be able to wait to get home!

•  

No golf in two weeks, I would be going out of my mind......probably could handle the food, because I love Asian food.....very seldom eat red meat......mainly fish and chicken.......relax and enjoy the yourself while you are there....as they say smell the roses.....to much work makes Randy a dull boy...time constraints....humbug.....traveled the US for over 20 years and its not all that wonderful.....I know where you are coming from.....

•  

That really isn't chicken it is probably dog, A light haired one as they are more tender. Don't forget to drink the snake's blood. Suppose to give you.... aw you know.

•  

Randy - I am traveling in Southern California right now so I will be sure to grab a double-double from In-N-Out, maybe even live on the edge and make it animal style, in your honor while I am out here.

•  

Yes Bob, there is indeed the dog and snake. Yuck!

We went to an "Italian" place last night in a Sheraton. The guys I was with are what we'd call "typical Midwesterners." They wanted steak and boy were they disappointed! Quite the crack up for me.

You'll all be happy to know tonight when I hit Hong Kong we have reservations at Ruth's Chris Steak House. The one guy just had to have it, so I said he'd have to pay, and viola! So steak and potatos tonight.......

•  

Know you will be glad to get back to the good old US of A......To quote Dorothy; "And... oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!"  

•  

Know you will be glad to get back to the good old US of A......To quote Dorothy; "And... oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!"  

• 3506 points

I was just in Shenzhen myself a 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately no golf, all work! Loved the food. Enjoy