Forums

Question for you Club Experts in the Community

• 5028 points

One question I meant to pose to my Titleist fitter and forgot to ask is this: Why do some players ( mainly professionals from what I can see) tinker with the loft of their irons? You'll read about a club being bent to a stronger loft a seven iron bent to a six iron loft. Since the typical set already has a six iron, why would a player "strengthen a seven iron ti=o a six iron loft?

You pros out there must have a good explanation...

• 1362 points

I believe this has a lot to do with consistency in yardage gaps between clubs. So for example if you take your longest average distance say (300 yards with driver) and your shortest full shot with your loftiest wedge (say 80 yards with lob wedge) you would have 220 yards of distance to cover with the 11 clubs in between. Each of these remaining 11 clubs would need about 18 yards of distance between them so the lofts would get adjusted to achieve this.

• 1362 points

I believe this has a lot to do with consistency in yardage gaps between clubs. So for example if you take your longest average distance say (300 yards with driver) and your shortest full shot with your loftiest wedge (say 80 yards with lob wedge) you would have 220 yards of distance to cover with the 11 clubs in between. Each of these remaining 11 clubs would need about 18 yards of distance between them so the lofts would get adjusted to achieve this.

•  

What the pros are trying to do is have specific yardage gaps with their clubs.  Usually they will have gaps with their irons of 12-15 yards.  With their woods the gap is a little bigger.  The wedges are really fine tuned they are the scoring clubs.

My gaps are pretty much 10-12 yards.  We are talking about ground to ground distance.  Hope that helps Pistol.

•  

As a former club tinkerer I feel I can help on this one...

One reason tour player check the lofts is that forged clubs can bend slightly after repeated use, or you lean on it a certain way, an angry slam into the bag and poof it just is not the same.  A tour player is so in tune with his equipment that a 1/2 a degree move could cause a radically different shot or distance than they expected.  

A friend of mine in High School loved hitting 7 irons at the local range, so much so that he had a little mark in the middle of the blade about the size of a dime.  They kid was very good and hit hundreds of balls a week.  One day he went to get his lofts checked and it turned out that 7 iron after thousands of swings became about 3 degrees weaker.  He bent it back and all was right in the world again.

For the question you laid forth about changing a six to a seven, it could be that they are looking for a specific bounce angle that is far less then what is offered in the set.  Anytime you bend and iron strong or weak it has a direct impact on the amount of bounce on the club.  The bent club could provide them a more desirable ball flight for their game.  I think you will often see this in longer irons, bending a 3 to a 2 iron for instance. It will make that 2 iron dig pretty hard, but for a tour player that doesn't really concern with fat shots, they may prefer a slight dig with the long irons.

They could also prefer the shape of a certain iron more than another.  For instance, in college I carried two Vokey 54* wedges. One bent to 52, the other 56.  For my eye there was something about that Vokey 54 and bending it two degrees strong of weak gave me a solid bounce angle for my swing and look for the eye.

Another instance where this could occur is if they take an iron out of the bag and need to bend some irons around to fill the gap.  One year in college I played an entire season without an eight iron. I had a nice sawed off bleeder with the seven iron and I could also go with a nuclear drawing nine iron.  Instead of going this route I could of bent the lofts closer to one another but you get the idea.

This is also an interesting story I heard several years ago when I worked in a golf store.  A former multiple major winner would have his caddy go out on the range with a radio at a specific distance. The player would hit balls and have his caddy radio back the distance.  From there he would bend, hit some more, radio back out to get his distance. He continued to do this throughout his entire set until he met a very specific number he felt was acceptable for each club.  The kicker was he rarely had the standard 3 or 4 degree gap between his irons.  Some were two, some were five, some three, some four, but he knew exactly where each one of those balls were going.

•  

GREAT RESPONSE DEVIN.......INFORMATIVE AND INSIGHTFUL.   YOU COVER ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE COVERED WITH THIS POST.

•  

Great write up...it appears golf is as much psychological (as many of us already know) as it is the equipment! LOL

•  

If you've ever seen DG hit an 8 iron, you would know why he didn't have it.  haha

Like said above, those guys tinker with their specs for specific shots/ball flights.  I still tinker with my wedges and most all of us probably have the adjustable woods.

TT

•  

OUTIGER
    If you've ever seen DG hit an 8 iron, you would know why he didn't have it.  haha

Like said above, those guys tinker with their specs for specific shots/ball flights.  I still tinker with my wedges and most all of us probably have the adjustable woods.

TT

I can't deny the game is not what it used to be!

•  

Very well put Devin and certainly appreciate the insight and flashback to your college days.

•  

Devin, Great write-up! The last tale makes me want to go to a pasture and see what the yardages are. As for your game not being what it was, you have loads of talent.

• 4180 points

Devin,  awesome write up thanks!  I've always wished I had the time to really spend and dial my irons in with a fitter.  Instead I have a set that fit fairly quickly and is stock.  I always wonder if I'd see a ton of improvement (well I'd probably see a ton of improvement if I had the time to hit the range more than once every few weeks)

• 4901 points

Well, I recently checked the lofts on all my clubs and many were just out of wack.  For one thing, my 7 had the loft of my 8! Now I check them every few months.

• 4901 points

Oops...meant to say that my 8 had the loft of my 7.

•  

I take mine to the shop and let them check the loft for me...they reset them for me at no charge......normally my lofts are set a 4 degrees difference P-7, then 3 degrees 4-6, guess it is all about what feels comfortable in your hands and in your mind.....my yardage between irons is about 10-15 yards.....and  20 yards on fairways/hybrids........take a look at the different brands, some irons are set strong from the factory.......great info as usual, Devin......