Forums

Club Tourney -- Match Play

• 3284 points

Just played in a club match play team tournament and wow. Not sure how many of you older golfers get to play match play, but it was a real thrill.  Played some of my best golf to-date.

Lost my four ball 3&2, even though I played one of my better rounds. My partner didn't contribute at all on holes where he had strokes.  But I did rock in my singles match 5&4.  Was great that my team won.

•  

Match play is a blast, nice to know that no matter what you score on a hole you can never get more than one hole behind. I play much more aggressive in match play than I do in stroke play. I wish they did more match play/team events on the PGA Tour just to mix it up and to practice for Ryder/Pres Cups.

• 3673 points

I've never personally played match play but I love watching it (Ryder Cup/Pres cup/etc).  The game is just so different from what I see/hear.

•  

Yes, I do love match play....makes you dig down deep a play hard....have a bad hole, move on to the next.....glad to see you did well in your singles match and congrautulations on your team win.....had tough matches in individual match play tournament that lasted from April to September but came out victorious and won championship.....

•  

We play several match play events every year, hate 90% handicap though.

•  

The one we had this year was 100% handicap and some of the folks did not have a handicap...so the ole wise one running the tournament assigned on his keen wisdom.....it was interesting......

•  

congrats on your success mini...I love match play...my golf league is match play and its a lot of fun

•  

As I've posted earlier, I lost my two club match play (individual) matches this year, despite shooting 77 and 74.  Lost the first on the 21st hole and the second 3&2.  I enjoy playing match because you approach it differently.  I can play a bit more aggressively, knowing that I'm only one down after a lost hole, not one to three strokes.  Our matches were played at 80 percent of the difference in course handicaps.  Had to give strokes both times, and my second opponent shot 74 also.  Neither of us conceded anything longer than a couple of feet and we played the round out for handicap purposes.  

Glad you enjoyed the experience, miniwarmth.  It's a good format that we play too infrequently around here.

•  

Whaql1
    Match play is a blast, nice to know that no matter what you score on a hole you can never get more than one hole behind. I play much more aggressive in match play than I do in stroke play. I wish they did more match play/team events on the PGA Tour just to mix it up and to practice for Ryder/Pres Cups.

i agree.  i love watching match play/team events.  i always wondered what it would be like if golf made teams (like other sports) and played different events.  it would lose some of what i like about golf being an individual sport, but in a hypothetical situation, i think it could be pretty cool.

•  

Match play is love/hate with me, love the way it makes you grind, hate playing mid handicappers bc if someone blows up a hole it really doesn't matter like it does in stroke play.  Overall makes for some great matches

• 3284 points

Thanks guys. The Fourball was basically me against the other two guys and was tough because i had to make birdie's vs. bogies on most holes to win.  

The end of the first day was amazing though as one of our foursomes won went 1U on the 18th to make the team score AS. Was a great way to start the second day. I'm really hoping they do more match play events.

• 1154 points

Match play is one of my favorite formats.

•  

cwaybright
    Match play is love/hate with me, love the way it makes you grind, hate playing mid handicappers bc if someone blows up a hole it really doesn't matter like it does in stroke play.  Overall makes for some great matches

Tend to agree with the love/hate.....hate to have to give up 27 strokes in a match and then they start throwing a bunch of pars at you......love matches that are close to even.....

• 2377 points

I usually play what is in effect match play when we play a nassau bet.  however our club plays match play for the Sr championship and well as one for all members.  we also do a team competition that on day 1 is 9 holes 2 man best ball and 9holes of alternate shot.  On day 2 its man on man match play for 18 holes.  This is a 12 man per team 2 day event which players qualify for in events throughout the summer. top point getters qualify for these Cup matches.  great 2 days with the losers buying the friday night dinner for the winners.