Forums

An Extraordinary Day With the Folks From Titleist

• 5037 points

Last Tuesday I had the privilege of experiencing first-hand the precision professionalism of the Titleist team. I was invited to partake in a commercial shoot focused on introducing the new Titleist 714 irons. It was a "balmy" 40 degrees or so at 8 AM when I arrived at the Bay Club in Mattapoisett, MA. Mattapoisett is a small town on the shore of Buzzard's Bay, a delightfully bucolic setting and spot in southeastern Massachusetts. I drove over from Cape Cod and my home town of Falmouth, roughly 30 or so miles to the north and east of Mattapoisett. The Bay Club is a real estate development anchored by a beautiful course and club facilities. The course is co-designed by Brad Faxon. While we did not actually play the course, the approach shots we played on holes on the back side were all quite beautiful and challenging.

There were four of us who had been invited to participate. We spent some time warming up on the driving range. Warming up generously describes our efforts as the northerly breeze blowing at around 15 MPH generated some serious wind chill! We had been instructed to wear shorts (shorts for amateurs, long pants for pros) and of course, I was the only one to show up, foolishly, with shorts only! In any case, we warmed up and then under the watchful eye of Titleist fitters armed with all of the toys from the Titleist fitting trailer (a thousand shafts, the latest 714 heads, and Trackman), we started the process of getting properly fitted with new Titleist irons. Given my game level, I was fit with AP2 irons and after hitting balls with various shafts,  we hit upon a combination that added almost 5 MPH to my ball speed, while adding a bit to the ball RPM. Trackman is an amazing tool and its results help to narrow in on the right shaft pretty darn quickly (roughly one hour. Anymore and I would have frozen solid!). I ended up with the stiff KBS Tour shaft and a lie two degrees flat. Rather a different set up from my Mizuno MP 60s with True Temper Dynamic Gold stiff shafts in a conventional lie!

Following the fitting, we each spent time "on camera" answering questions about the AP2 iron, how it performed, felt, advantages we perceived in hitting the club, etc... These are very solid irons! Forgiving yes, but also a club that rewards a properly struck shot with beautifully solid feel.

Lunch followed  and here the highlight of the Titleist surprises arrived half way through lunch - While chatting with Titleist staff, who should arrive for a "late lunch" but our fitters and lead Titleist staff organizers armed with..you guessed it - new iron sets for each of us built to our newly refined specifications! "I'll have the BLT, light mayo, and a side of Titleist's newest irons!!"! Now that is a tasty lunch!

After lunch we went out on the course to hit shots to greens and elsewhere to accommodate camera angles and shots for commercials.  Of course, we all used our new sticks - I thought my ball striking suffered from nervousness. But I hit dial in a short iron shot on a par 3 drilling a couple of nine iron shots in close - Puuurfection!

This was clearly the highlight of my golf season. I cannot thank the great people of Titleist and Foot Joy enough for their generosity and wonderful spirit. All of the production crew and the Titleist staff were warm, funny, and consummate professionals. And they actually get paid to do this... Amazing...

I wholeheartedly endorse these new irons and think that Titleist has another winning club in their arsenal of excellent golf products. I have been out on the course only once with these clubs and i can tell you that I was more than pleased with the way they performed. Accurate, excellent feel, in a forged forgiving club. You will not go wrong with the AP2s!!  Look for the commercials to begin airing in early November...

•  

That is great! Did you work with Bubba or Alex by chance?

•  

I am jealous congats Pete

• 1763 points

WOW!! I'm dripping in envy....You've sold me on upgrading my current irons to the new Titleist 714 Irons. Thanks for sharing your extraordinary experience...Titleist and FJ is a first class operation.

•  

Great looking sticks... I expect nothing less from T and FJ!

•  

Congratulations Pete. This is truly the experience of a lifetime. Thank you as well for such a well written review and recap, and for sharing your day with us here in the Community.

• 2749 points

Sounds like a great day , a very memorable experience indeed. Very envious. play well Pistol !

• 1869 points

Very jealous!   Nice write up too, happy to hear some good reviews on the new line being I am in the market for them.  Well done!

• 1869 points

Very jealous!   Nice write up too, happy to hear some good reviews on the new line being I am in the market for them.  Well done!

• 1869 points

•  

Now that's what  I call a post......and the clubs aint to shabby either.

•  

Now that's what  I call a post......and the clubs aint to shabby either.

•  

wow!  that sounds like an amazing opportunity.  thanks for sharing.

•  

thank you for sharing and congrats. As said above, that is an experience you won't soon forget! Looking forward to hearing updates as you continue to get play in on the new AP2's.

• 2485 points

very nice.  I was just reading a series of articles about the Titleist fitting process at one of their centers.  Has peaked my interest for a good fitting.