Forums

The Seve Trophy event draws little interest from top European qualifiers

• 5031 points

Interesting Golfweek article describing a newer team event known as the Seve Trophy, played in honor of the late Seve Ballesteros, and how lots of the players who qualified to play are skipping the event.

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/sep/29/seve-ballesteros-trophy-no-show-column-alistair-ta/

Are there simply too many events in the calendar? Or are players not appreciative enough of the trails blazed by earlier generation stars?

• 1362 points

This is just SAD. I agree, 'Seve Ballesteros deserves better. Much better. '

•  

i think it's just too much being shoved in to the end of the season.  these guys just finished the FedEx playoffs.  it's their off-season, they've earned a break.

•  

I think it's a real shame the Seve Trophy isn't getting the support of the top line players.

Sure all associated with the event are disappointed but the thing with great team events is that everyone who wants to play is wrapt to be there and often perform at their best.

•  

This is a real disappointment...Seve is one of my heroes and I enjoyed watching his passion and skill for the game throughout my childhood.  He definitely is worth the time and effort to keep his memory alive despite a long season, if the scheduling is the issue then the host needs to re-evaluate however is there is ever a good time for this type of event as it relates to a pga tour pro?

•  

Chris92009
    This is a real disappointment...Seve is one of my heroes and I enjoyed watching his passion and skill for the game throughout my childhood.  He definitely is worth the time and effort to keep his memory alive despite a long season, if the scheduling is the issue then the host needs to re-evaluate however is there is ever a good time for this type of event as it relates to a pga tour pro?

i think maybe if they had delayed it another two weeks, it might help.  after 4 fedex cup events in 5 weeks in the US, it's a lot to ask for them to then travel to Europe to compete with one week off.  not saying they wouldn't do it for money, but this event just isn't big enough yet.  and i think they need to understand that.  i didn't realize it has been going on since 2000.  i think if they are honest with themselves and move it a little more into the off-season, it could be a good event for everyone.  and if they aren't competing directly with the President's Cup, it might get more interest from the US.

• 2740 points

It's a tough situation , in Europe and  in America as well  the pro golf seasons never really end.

It's difficult for guy's to play in all events that are out there. The Euro tour especially  doesn't seem to ever end, they are still not yet finished with the race to Dubai series.

•  

Chris92009

Chris, you are dead on.........I am a bit older than you and I really enjoyed watching this master pull of unbelievable shots......he was a person you wanted to follow, because you never knew when you may see a shot that no one had ever made before....Seve was one of a kind and will always be remembered.......Seve was a real Ambassador for golf in Europe and around the world.....I hope that they find in their hearts to respect this great man and golfer.....cz  : )

• 2740 points

I agree with  tdogg, the timing of this event is in a poor spot on the calender. If anyone has a problem it should be with the Euro tour for giving it such a date so close to the Fed ex players when some guys have played 5 or 6 weeks in a row.

• 4180 points

Yep, I love the idea behind the event, but the timing is clearly nowhere near where it should be!  I hope they figure that out and move it a bit.  I bet they get more participation!

•  

While setting in the service department this morning getting my Kia ready for our trip, and watching the Seve Trophy, I heard the commentators reviewing the event.  They were discussing when Seve starting the Trophy eight years ago, the intent was to have it the off year of the Ryder Cup to prepare the European team and have them ready for the Ryder Cup matches......Seve was very competitive and wanted very badly to win and was thinking ahead......I have not checked online, but how many of next years European Ryder Cup team are actually there playing?  Agree, maybe the timing is not good, but this is a great time to pull the boys together and practice and that is what Seve had in mind......Jimenez has played every year.....love this guy, he is a team player.....and so much fun to follow.......it appears that the top players take it lightly and refer to it as (Per the GolfCentralDaily site 09/25/13) "Text Your Excuse for Not Going" to Ollie and Sam...quote.....great idea for having it....a lot of excuses for not playing in it....we still love you Seve....cz  

•  

Watching some highlights last night and couldn't believe that this was the first European victory over GB & I since 2000.

The Great Britain & Ireland team had won the previous six events and European Captain Olazabal has called on the top players to support the event after 8 of the top 20 in the world missed this week.

Will be a huge shame if this event is cancelled/abandoned.