Forums

Putting Tips

•  

My putting has gone south (and it isn't even winter yet), not reading the greens well and my tempo is a mess. Any good drills/tips to help right the ship! I had a 4 putt this weekend!!!!!

• 4775 points

My advice would be to identify if you have a straight back, straight through stroke, or an "arced" stroke that stays square to the swing plane.  If your stroke is arced then I would strongly recommend Stan Utley's book, The Art of Putting.  It's not very long and it is a super easy read but the information is very valuable. 

•  

Any person I talk to about putting I tell them you have to have confidence.  Pick a line and stick to it.  If you are over the ball and double guessing yourself back off and start over.  With a confident line you will have a more confident stroke and hopefully putts will start dropping for you.

•  

First....RELAX, I would guess that with some of your misses you are getting pretty tense.

Go to the practice green and find a nice level and straight 6-8 footer. Setup to the ball and close your eyes. Make a stroke and try to get your distance to the hole correct. This will help with your feel. Once the feel and distance control is under control you will make a lot more putts.

There are a lot of great tips on www.pga.com , check them out and Good Luck!

•  

When reading the greens, take your time and get multiple angles.  Once you pick your spot, go for it.  If you miss and the ball went where you wanted it to then no big deal just get the speed right and you probably have a tap in.

Only way to cure the putting blues is to practice, practice, practice.  Have your local pro take a look at your stroke or a friend who is a good player.  They may see something in your stroke to correct.  Good luck.

•  

Shaun,

If you have access to a local pro, usually they will give you some pointers for little or no cost. I  have had the good fortune to know several and they have helped. It always helps to havesomeone watch you and then point out if you are in the correct posture, line, etc. Stick with it and practice.

•  

shaun13

My putting has gone south (and it isn't even winter yet), not reading the greens well and my tempo is a mess. Any good drills/tips to help right the ship! I had a 4 putt this weekend!!!!!

You need to work on your rhythm and loosen up a bit.  Work on a 1,2,3 count or something like that to establish a smooth tempo.  Then pick a line and commit to it. 

Another good drill is to practice the ladder drill.  You hit one ball, then another just past the previous, and another past that one.  Keep doing that until you get to the fringe or hit one short of the previous ball.  Then start over.  This drill will help a ton with your distance control and improve your lag putting.

Tim

•  

thanks for all of the tips, had a buddy watch me putting yesturday and i am not running my putter straight thru the ball. Also picking up the body at the end so it is pulling left. Will keep working on it.

•  

Good luck shaun, tip to keep the body still is think upside down metronome, tic-toc with the only thing moving is the shoulders. Once you hit the ball, it is out or your control so there is no need to look at it till it stops. This thought should help keep from lifting out of it.

•  

I like using the putting arc to re-fine tune my stroke when I'm struggling or have been struggling.

Anything that will give me confidence back in my stroke I'm willing to try.

•  

That ladder drill is  good one. I have used it on a numberof occasions with a great deal of success. Use it especially when I seem to lose my rhythm. It has also helped with distance  control.

•  

crosshand grip and lots of practice

•  

Man, your head is going to be spinning with all these tips!

That said, they are all great ones; one and all.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Lightly hold the putter. Two practice swings. Be confident.  Hit on the line.

Practice will give you that confidence that you aren't going to miss.

•  

I have no tips, I've lost my mind on the greens lately...

Hoping for an early snow fall here in Michigan so I can put the clubs away and take me out of my putting misery...

•  

Tar Heel

Man, your head is going to be spinning with all these tips!

That said, they are all great ones; one and all.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Lightly hold the putter. Two practice swings. Be confident.  Hit on the line.

Practice will give you that confidence that you aren't going to miss.

Reply to my question has been awesome, thank you all for your tips and pointers. Worked with a club pro Monday during a round and he suggested I switch to a grip where my left hand (low hand for me) is right up and against my top right hand. Almost frrls like I am putting with the right hand only. Really has helped me with feel and keeping the ball from shooting out to the left. Got to love those PGA pros, they know there stuff.