Forums

Member of a club

•  

How many of the FJC are members of a club where they pay an amount for unlimited golf, practice, etc. I have been looking into joining a club and wanted to collect a few opinions. Does playing the same course over and over get old?

•  

I have been a member of a couple private clubs over the years.  The one that I am currently at is great, the big decision you have to make is what you pointed out, will the course and facility get "old" quickly?  That being said once you love a design and a layout that does not seem to wear on you, then you are probably a good candidate for admission....Also, it is like a home, I always try to find the best fit that I can afford...JAT

• 1362 points

I'm a member of 2 semi-private clubs (3 separate 18-hole courses in total) and it does get old. Thankfully I can sign up on a yearly basis. I usually use these courses to practice particular parts of my game on non-busy days and join in on all the tournaments.

•  

Mikey...

I have always been a "member" of a club, mostly the semi-private kind. What is most important to me is a good practice facility, reasonable overall prices, a good course layout, a nice eating facility, and most importantly the people must be great.

Whenever I've moved I have taken time to find the right fit. There are lots of golf courses, but some don't meet the criteria I, or others, have. My new club here in SoCal is a case in point. It's not the most prestigious club out here. But the restaurant is consistently voted one of the best in SoCal, and the people are simply the best. Living out here alone the past 19 months, these people have become part of my extended family, from the beverage cart ladies to the guys in the Pro Shop, all the way to the players assistants. Everyone one is on a first name basis, and they are now my friends. And as Chris said, it is a home.

As such, the courses I have been a member are my homes away from home....

• 4180 points

All of our local semi-privates are way too busy on weekends and I work on the weekdays so as much as I'd love to I won't join one of them.  I've been contemplating a private club or two in the area though.  Mainly to have somewhere to go closer to work or home (depending) that allows me to play when I want and not have it be too packed.

• 819 points

I'm a member at a semi-private club and love it.  Great layout, practice facility, and restaurant that meet my needs.  The best part though is the people.  From day one they took me in and went out of their way to make me feel welcome.  This goes for members, Pro Shop staff and servers.  All around great people that only enhance what I consider a fun course.

•  

I belong to a municipal golf course....they offer us reasonable memberships and we have a good driving range and the 19th hole has great food......we have a good array of retirees, attorneys, business owners and business professionals that play the course......there are a lot of games going on at the course and all levels of players which I like, because you can always get a game and you can choose your poison......we participate in interclub play with the other two city public courses in the area as well as 9 semi-private courses the first Monday of each month......our course sponsors the Mens City Am/Womens City Am/Mens Sr Am for the tri-county area annually where many of the local college top players participate........for a municipal course it does an outstanding job......the course is well maintained considering......there are a number of private courses in our area that up front membership fees range from $35,000- $175,000.....with monthly dues of $500-$2000....way out of pay grade......belonging at the Muni allows me the opportunity to play whenwhere and whereever I want......cz  : )

•  

Yes, it does get old at times.....that is why you need to play tournaments.....cz

• 2723 points

The club I play at here in CT  has 2  18 hole courses and is also "linked" to 2 other clubs. Meaning when you join you can also play at the linked courses as part of your memberships. Keeps you from getting bored with one layout.

I am sure there must be courses all over the country that do this type of thing.

• 3539 points

The club that I'm a member at has two 18 hole courses and a 18 hole par three course so, the choices are nice. We also have two driving ranges so the practice facilities are pretty good as well. One of the biggest benefits is the reciprocal privileges with other area clubs. We have 12-15 courses that we just pay cart fees or a 1/2 price green fees at. I also try to take advantage of all our member tournaments and club outings, we have a great group of people that I really enjoy being around!  

•  

ls

tee2green
    The club I play at here in CT  has 2  18 hole courses and is also "linked" to 2 other clubs. Meaning when you join you can also play at the linked courses as part of your memberships. Keeps you from getting bored with one layout.

I am sure there must be courses all over the country that do this type of thing.

We are in a tourist destination and they do not give much of a break to the locals and we even have a tourism tax on food and entertainment......our number one industry and we all pay......I can think of one semi-private that does that here....but it is not that reasonable..........I am over sixty five and shoot for the senior rates in the area.....some let us play for cart fees....pretty sweet....and of course there is Golfnow.com.......and then of course it is who you know in the proshops at other courses, that always helps....cz : )

•  

This year I am a member of two public courses, one of which has two 18 hole courses.  So, I've got three courses for the price of two.  Both courses have good, friendly, knowledgeable staff, and good snack bars (though one is better than the other).  I play two to three days a week at each of them, including playing in a seniors play day at each twice a month.  I also am a member of a golf league that plays a couple of tournaments a month at various courses around the greater Houston area.  This gives me a pretty good variety of play, while keeping the overall costs down significantly over paying the going green fee rate each time I play.  I've found it to be a pretty good system, since each course is different and challenges parts of my game that another course does not stress as much.  Must work, since the handicap has settled around 6 for most of the year.

• 4881 points

Whaql1
    How many of the FJC are members of a club where they pay an amount for unlimited golf, practice, etc. I have been looking into joining a club and wanted to collect a few opinions. Does playing the same course over and over get old?

I belong to a few private clubs around the world. Some are so inexpensive to keep as an out of town member that I can't bring myself to let go. Plus they offer good reciprocal arrangements when travelling.  

Golf wise, I belong to one private club and am about to join another. Over in my part of the world (Asia/India), there are no public courses so you have to become a member of a club if you don't want to pay exorbitantly high greens fees.  The downside is that many of the established clubs have 10-15 year waiting periods.  Luckily I got into one a few years ago that has reciprocal arrangements with most of the courses and I pay a moderate amount when I'm in those areas.

I would do the financial calcs first. In my case, there's a new club opening just outside of the city and by playing there 2x/wk amounts to 75% of the annual dues. It's a no brainer when you add in the other amenities (practise facilities, gym, pool, etc).  Most private clubs in the US have a monthly fee for the restaurant that can be quite high and that's charged even if you don't  eat there. So make sure you like the food!

Then I would look at the overall membership. Are they the sort you would hang out with or enjoy rounds? You'll need to play a few times with as a guest to get a better feel.

Now the course is the key. I think you would want something challenging enough to stretch your game but not impossible for your skill; something to grow into.  I also think that if your club has matches against other clubs it will give you just enough variety.  Combine that with the occasional round with your non-member friends at other clubs, you'll probably be okay.  Unless of course you are loner (not likely as you are a FJC Amby).

And lastly, do they have FJ gear in the pro shop. Key criterion for sure.

Good luck.

•  

I like your comment on look for FJ gear in the pro shop!  Very good indicator of a quality club/course!

•  

I don't belong to a club, with two kids under 3 I couldn't play enough to justify it.  Someday maybe but I really enjoy the variety.  I've played 8 different courses (almost all of them multiple times) and last year I played 10 different courses.  

I'm sure if you play the same course over and over you can eventually play it really well because you know where to hit and how the greens are.

Chris92009
    I like your comment on look for FJ gear in the pro shop!  Very good indicator of a quality club/course!

<- This is DEFINITELY TRUE