Forums

Poor starts

• 2740 points

I know part of it is slowing down and keeping from being to amped up to start the round. Its not like I hit poor drives off the first tee every round, sometimes I 'll fly the green with my second shot after a good drive

•  

That's golf my friend. Sounds like you have extra energy prior to teeing off. I would suggest clubbing down on the first tee, it would come up short of the bush and if you happen to have a little extra energy and crush one then you will still be in a good position. Same concept for the approach shot, play for the front of the green and if you crush it your in the middle, or on the back. If you hit it "normal" you are on the front.

I will say that I am a defensive player so most of the time I play away from trouble, club down on tees, play to the fat part of greens. If there is a bunker 270 out (about my average driver distance) I will hit 3 wood just to take it out of play.

Take into account your own energy at the first tee and pick the right club.

•  

Play the first 2 or 3 holes on the range before teeing off!

• 2740 points

Thanks for the advice ....I think conservative for the first 3 holes no matter the course may be what I am going to try and see what happens.

•  

Great advice so far and can't really add anything special.

If it is the same course and same hole every time.  I would think about hitting a 3 wood to just hit the fairway and get the round going.  Always clear your mind of any negative thoughts.

TT

•  

tee2green

Thanks for the advice ....I think conservative for the first 3 holes no matter the course may be what I am going to try and see what happens.

Let me know how it goes. Believe you can have a good start and you will.

• 1316 points

Really great advice, Mike.  I'll thank you, too!

•  

Denise Preston

Really great advice, Mike.  I'll thank you, too!

Go get 'um Denise!

Nice avatar.