Forums

Can you help us understand why?

• 12 points

Aloha - We are volunteers with a charity in Maui that hosts a great 4 day event every October.  We provide 3 days of golf, breakfast, lunch and dinners all three days, have great accommodation packages and give our participants the opportunity to play with LPGA Tour Professionals each day.  This is our fourth year and we are confused why more players from across the country do not participate or agt least call for information about the event.  Take a look at our web site and then give us your opinion as to what we can do to get more interest.  As an all volunteer organization no one involved with this cause makes anything from this effort.  Our only goal is to raise money to help Maui youth.  Please spend a couple of minutes and help us understand.

•  

I took a moment to review your website and for me, the reason is the price.  For most of us, a flight to Hawaii is anywhere from $750-1000.00, then you need to pay an extra $1,500 to golf in your event, and an extra $750.00 minimum for accommodations (one week - at various locations).

If you want the LPGA player, there's another $450.00 per player.

We are already looking at close to $3,2.00 without playing with the LPGA professional and staying for the minimum price of accommodations (I averaged the flight to $900.00).  If you want to stay for the week the $750.00 is quoted at, you then have to pick up the remaining meals, activities, and the like which can easily run you another $500.00.  Already you are looking at nearly $4,000.00 and I forgot to mentioned transportation (let alone the chance of you not getting the "minimum" lodging price). 

Don't forget taxes…

Sounds fun, but sounds expensive.  Joe the Plumber can't exactly afford a $4,000/per person for a 4-day golf vacation and then pick up the remaining 3 days on his own to make the week limit on accommodations.

I don't mean to be rude or harsh but I'm not here to review your business model.  I'm here to discuss FJ products, services and other golf related topics; not listen to advertisements.  Thank you.

I look forward to what others have to say about the topic.  Best of luck.

• 12 points

Thanks for taking the time to repsond.  Our inquiry was not meant as an advertisement, but rather as a sincere attempt to better understand.  No one here is making anything as we are an all volunteer organization raising money to help Maui youth. 

You are correct, this is a high end event, but generally people that travel to Maui understand there is a higher cost involved in visiting the islands.  It turns out that if a visitor was to just schedule the three rounds of golf on the three courses we play the cost would be almost $750.  When you throw in all the meals and tournament trappings we think it is a fair price.  No question that adding in the accommodations and car is an added expense that comes with traveling. 

We are looking for ways to spice it up and wonder if having the ability to play with an LPGA Tour professional is enough to get peoples attention.  Keep in mind that a normal one day LPGA Pro/Am runs around $3,000 per player.

Again thank you for your response.  We are sincere when we say we are hoping to hear ideas and thoughts from folks so we know how to be successful in "Helping Maui's youth realize the promise of their future!" .

Mahalo

•  

I have to agree with EMK on this one.  If I had a spare $4K, I would love to participate in events like that one.  My family would love to go on vacation to Hawaii.  Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't have the funds to pay for something like that.  Hawaii is expensive minus the tournament/event fees.

•  

I agree with EMK. The cost is prohibitive to most golfers. Regardless that many who travel to Hawaii take in the expense, it by far out of the reach for  the average guy. Maybe you could try holding some event here in the 48 states. That way you might get a lot more golfers and b able to hold the costs down. I'm sure many would like to play in an event of that caliber.

•  

If you advertise the comparison that you made playing in a ProAm and playing in your tournament you might attract a few more people.  In these economic times, you are not going to find many people standing in line to drop 4k to play golf.

It sounds like you have put together a fantastic event, but it is most unfortunate that the event is held in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  That alone makes it difficult on the average golfer.

Tim

•  

all i have to say is emkelly is right, way too much money.  you're just not going to draw people to the islands at that cost for a four day event no matter what the cause.  for most of us, especially in this economy, that's serious money.

•  

Its sounds like a great time.  I would love play golf at a sweet course with LPGA players but it cost alot to go to Hawaii because I live all the way in Michigan.

•  

Ditto here $4,000 is a big expense. If someone was vacationing in Maui around the time of your tournament it might be worth looking into. Like you said the price to play with an LPGA professional is not bad, but the overall amount is tough. Sounds like a good cause, but is out of most of our league.