Forums

Yardage Books

•  

It's all electronic for me these days.

Currently using a GPS but looking at adding a rangefinder soon as I have been caught out a few times generally on courses/holes that have been recently adjusted.

•  

I haven't used yardage books for a long time, because I've relied on my SkyCaddie SGX.  I've been playing a series of tournaments at my local course that do not allow GPS, only range finders.  I've had to rely on others for yardages, which they have been kind enough to provide.  For this week's two-man, my partner has a laser rangefinder, so we're good to go.  I used to make personal yardage books, but not in the detail that 19 hole uses.  

• 5071 points

For regular rounds, I've been using PGA TourCaddie. But sometimes it's a bit cumbersome and takes time to adjust to my exact position. But overall I love it. Too bad I can't use it in more competitive situations :( I have't bought a set of the range finder/binoculars yet -- the prices are still too high for my liking.

@TarHeel: For me golf is still pretty relaxing but I like a little competition as well.  Getting carry yardages/distances has helped tremendously for my, often poor, course management skills and my overall enjoyment.  I'm occasionally breaking into single digit (+) scores these days and I think a big part of it is my mental preparation before a shot (e.g. just getting my number, picking a club, etc).  I used to keep track of which club used and the conditions right on my scorecard, but that's a losing battle b/c either you turn in the card or the pencil marks get smudged.

•  

the first time i used a yardage book was when my Dad and I went to Pinehurst.  It was worth it's weight in gold on the #2 course!  but since then, i really haven't used one.  they are definitely worth it, but so many courses don't have it and i don't have the time right now to make my own.

Rick - did you make that or was it available to the players?  that's an awesome yardage book.

• 5177 points

I recently played a course I play perhaps once a year at the invitation of a member. It is a course with lots of sea breeze, elevated greens, and a number of blind carries. And no yardage books! A member of our foursome had a rangefinder and was he ever popular!! Great device and now, for me, a must-have purchase..

• 5071 points

pistolpete
    I recently played a course I play perhaps once a year at the invitation of a member. It is a course with lots of sea breeze, elevated greens, and a number of blind carries. And no yardage books!

Totally agree -- I would much rather just buy a yardage book but it's not always offered.

•  

I have a Sky Caddie also and it works like a dream on blind shots and distances that laser's cannot shoot...also, borrow a friend's Laser with slope adjustments for even more accurate yardages!  JAT

• 4351 points

I'd love yardage books (while I'm a huge fan of laser finders  and GPS it's not overly convenient to leave one of those in a pocket for me).

But most courses I play don't offer one so I'd have to pre-make mine.

• 859 points

A guy on the Cameron Collector uses Google maps to make them for courses he's playing.  Not quite as informative as Stracka, but he made me one for a local course and it came out pretty slick.

•  

tdogg21
    the first time i used a yardage book was when my Dad and I went to Pinehurst.  It was worth it's weight in gold on the #2 course!  but since then, i really haven't used one.  they are definitely worth it, but so many courses don't have it and i don't have the time right now to make my own.

Rick - did you make that or was it available to the players?  that's an awesome yardage book.

They were made by a guy that goes to ask the events and makes the course.  He then make up the books. They are plain paper so making notes is pretty easy.

•  

I gave up Sky Caddie because of memberships and could never download a course on Sunday.. I found a laser has made me more accurate by knowing exact yardages!