Forums

Pace of play

•  

Something must be in the air because I had the longest round in a while at the club yesterday. Nothing like waiting on every shot for the whole back nine.

•  

Tyler Higley
    Something must be in the air because I had the longest round in a while at the club yesterday. Nothing like waiting on every shot for the whole back nine.

Had another long round yesterday as well.  But played much better so it wasn't quite as bad.  Plus more swing oil to keep it fun.

TT

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    I had a Marshal on a resort course tell me he generally tried to use the rule of "If you are two over pick up". He had made that suggestion to the five some in front of us. I like that rule.

My rule with my son is that you putt until you are finished. No marking after your initial marking.

I like that - if you are posting a score to GHIN you are not supposed to take over a double anyways (if you are a low handicapper).  Mine has been sky rocketing in recent weeks!

• 3539 points

I like the idea of trying to speed up play but, until the tour guys stop playing 5:30-6:00 rounds it's going to be tough. The group I play with typically plays fast, it's not unheard of for us to play a sub-four hour round if we are the first 4-some to tee off.      

•  

When I walk and everyone rides, I try to get to the next tee before everyone.  Most especally on par three holes.  As soon as I play, I'm walking to the green while everyone plays.  Not much chatter there.

I also like the guys who doesn't over do their own capacity, making for good management and less time looking for balls.

Anyway, I hope the rally and all the effort to speed up play works out. . . While we're young!  

('Gettin' dark!)

• 340 points

Golfer's helper-or Aide --->>-#1. Should ask who is the leader of the group? #2. Then the aide should write the Start time on the score card and end time --usually 4 hrs. #3.No more than 5 mins to find your "LOST  ball".#4 Ready golf--means if you are ready--take a " safe shot "Don't have to wait for everybody to admire your shot.#5.Pick up within one foot.# 6. Place the Golfer's Aide @ strategic place where most golfers slice.Hand the golfer his ball--if he can find it...more to come..

•  

I think it is a step in the right direction. We played saturday behind a group that was 2 full holes behind and finished 40+ minutes behind the group in front of them. They were totally oblivious to the fact that we had two groups waiting in most of the fairways behind them!

•  

On Sunday at the US Open, if I am not mistaken, the final two groups in the closing holes had a TWO hole gap in between them (Justin and Luke were teeing off 18 while Phil and Hunter were still putting on 15)...interesting no one made mention of this and no one was assessed a slow play penalty.  I realize this is during a major championship but the majority of people like you and me are watching during this time and it would emphasize their stance on pace of play even during important events.  Just a thought....

• 627 points

Courses themselves need to enforce this.  One course I play at has ten minutes between groups.  Works lovely with a few more minutes between groups than at msot courses.  There are also pace-of-play clocks located every 4 holes or so around the course near the yardage signs.  If you are playing to the correct pace-of-play every clock you pass will have your tee-time on it or you will be "going back in time."

Last week a marshal got on to me and my playing partner for playing slowly.  We just stepped off the green on number ten when he approached us.  I politley pointed to the group waiting to hit their tee shots on number eleven tee and asked him where he expected us to go.  He said he was just told to come tell the group playing ten to hurry up.  I think he got the wrong group by about two foursomes.

That illustrates another problem with courses enforcing pace-of-play, how to correctly do it.  It puts the high school kid in a bad spot when you ask him to go be the marshal on a busy weekend.  I don't think that is the correct approach.

• 544 points

The problem is, it only takes one person to wreck the pace for an entire course.  I think the new campaign will increase awareness which will help; but ultimately, it will be up to each course to enforce pace of play.  Most Rangers are volunteers who do the job in exchange for free golf.  They are generally not interested in anything but serving their time to exchange for golf priveleges (and finding lost balls).  

• 4180 points

The other problem is many courses (usually the ones who need it the most) don't have marshall's patrolling and keeping groups moving.  The same courses pack tee times so tight it's not funny and they don't do ANYTHING (even post a sign)  trying to help the situation.

•  

WOW. I'M SPOILED.I PLAY MORE THAN 90% OF PLAYERS( 3-6 TIMES A WEEK), AND WE AVERAGE ABOUT 3 HRS/ROUND TEEING OFF IN THE FIRST 3-4 GROUPS. WE DO SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WE ARE DISCUSSING HERE,,,PLAY FORWARDY ) ***MAJOR CHANGE),PICK UP WHEN OUT OF THE HOLE AND WE ALL KNOW HOW TO MANAGE THE CARTS.

I CAN'T IMAGINE A FOUR HOUR ROUND,,,,OUR GUYS WOULD QUIT.

•  

Chris92009
    On Sunday at the US Open, if I am not mistaken, the final two groups in the closing holes had a TWO hole gap in between them (Justin and Luke were teeing off 18 while Phil and Hunter were still putting on 15)...interesting no one made mention of this and no one was assessed a slow play penalty.  I realize this is during a major championship but the majority of people like you and me are watching during this time and it would emphasize their stance on pace of play even during important events.  Just a thought....

i thought that as well, but i think there was a group in between them.  stricker and schwartzel maybe?

•  

i played a course a couple of weeks ago that had a sheet on the windshield of the cart that had our start time and then it had the times we should get to holes, 3, 6, 9, 12,15, and 18.  it was very helpful as we could constantly check our watches to make sure we were on time.

• 1466 points

Love the idea of it and something that definelty needs to change but I think the bigger problem is not only people taking too long to hit a shot but taking a 12 on a hole without any penalty strokes, if you think about that it takes a someone who takes a 12 3 times as long as a low handicapper who takes a par on 3 par 4s....not sure how to fix that problem though