Forums

Phil not at Merion

•  

espn.go.com/.../2013-us-open-phil-mickelson-leaves-merion-skips-practice-round-attend-daughter-graduation

how is this going to work for him??  Phil has always been unconventional in his preparation, but this is something else.  it sounds like he isn't going to even have a practice round this week before teeing off early Thursday.

•  

PM is becoming a weird duck.  After playing so well last week, he pulls a stunt like this.

TT

• 3066 points

Yeah, but he practiced at Merion last week, and was going to play early this week, except the weather prevented that. He was planning on attending his daughter's graduation all along. Nice dad.

•  

He attended his daughters 8th grade graduation, so there is at least a good reason but I agree he should at least set foot on the course before trying to win a major.

• 3580 points

He spent Monday and Tuesday last week on the course last week, nobaody played there much because of the conditions yesterday anyway.

•  

i completely agree he is doing a great thing and i would like to think i would make the same choice.  but it's crazy that he is going to fly from San Diego to Philly overnight Wednesday for an early tee time on Thursday.  and on top of that, he won't have played the course for 10 days.

•  

tee2green
    He spent Monday and Tuesday last week on the course last week, nobaody played there much because of the conditions yesterday anyway.

yeah.....but a lot of players are playing today and tomorrow.  he's doing the right thing for his family, but it's just shocking that he will go in to a major with basically no "practice round."  yes he was there last week, but we all know things are different come major week.

•  

I think Phil has to follow what his physical fitness and conditions dictates (psoriatic arthritis) so he can get the most out of himself for each competition.  It is the US Open, but if he wants to be able to continue his career, he needs to follow some regimen.

•  

Not the ideal preparation I agree but he was there last week and nobody should criticise him for spending time with his family.

A major is a major but these guys must have interrupted preparations pretty regularly and hopefully he has a good tournament because there is always something happening when he is on the leaderboard.

•  

CROCMAN
    Not the ideal preparation I agree but he was there last week and nobody should criticise him for spending time with his family.

A major is a major but these guys must have interrupted preparations pretty regularly and hopefully he has a good tournament because there is always something happening when he is on the leaderboard.

no criticism here.  just shocked that a top golfer who is at the point in his career that he is basically just looking to add majors, is essentially skipping all the practice rounds.  i think it's great how he puts his family first and i applaud him.  just completely shocked by it.

•  

tdogg, certainly wasn't criticising you for your opinion as a I believe this is a great thread and I will be very interested in everyone's responses.

It is very interesting that some live and die by their Majors records while some live and die every week just trying to make the cut.

I am totally sure that if PM never wins the US Open he will be pretty disappointed but if his daughter ever said you care more about golf than me that would be devastating.  

• 2828 points

I hope he has a great Open because he should be commended for taking time to attend his daughters graduation.  Flying is his private plane will allow him to sleep on the flight back so he can make his early Thursday tee time.  

• 5665 points

Surprising that he has deviated from his routine, but I agree that family comes first. As Noel stated, there may also be health reasons for limiting his time practicing as well. And who knows - Maybe a routine change is what he needs. Given his short game and at least the first round likely to be played with very soft greens, Phil may just come alive....

• 4670 points

I give him a ton of credit for putting family first.  I think this goes to show that while he can still play, his priorities may be a bit different than they were years ago.  I certainly hope he plays well and I'd have to think that the rest this week could feasibly help.