Forums

Weather Conditions at Merion

•  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1666593-us-open-golf-2013-updated-weather-outlook-prior-to-round-1-at-merion

Here's what a friend of mine l will be staying with Wed thru Sun who  lives 15 Minutes from the course emailed......

"Unfortunately, we had terrible rain on Friday and torrential rain again an hour ago. The poor groundskeepers at Merion! It's a mess. The stream behind our house flooded half our backyard and it was quite a sight. Our house is fine--fortunately the land slopes down to the stream, but the road one block away flooded (already receding). The sun is due to come out later this week, so it should at least be sunny."

•  

Have two friends that live near there and are volunteering and they says its pretty bad!!!!

Show SoCal some love USGA, it was 78 in San Diego, Torrey deserves another Open!

•  

TNT009
    Have two friends that live near there and are volunteering and they says its pretty bad!!!!

Show SoCal some love USGA, it was 78 in San Diego, Torrey deserves another Open!

A buddy I grew up with went yesterday and said, "These guys may need a snorkel to get around the course."  

No clue what to expect from this Championship!

• 4690 points

Devin_Gmitter
    No clue what to expect from this Championship this year!

That makes this a great year for the Open IMO.  When nothing is predictable.  High scores?  Low scores?  The suspense is awesome

•  

5" in the last couple of days. Greens will be very receptive.

•  

i don't live too far away and it's wet here, but they got even more rain.  it looks like the sun is going to come out, so i would guess things are going to firm up rather quickly.  but if another storm moves through, it could make things interesting.

people keep saying the wet course will lower scores, but that might not be the case.  remember this is a short course that uses it's thick rough, narrow fairways, and small greens as its defense.  the greens might be more receptive, but the course is going to play longer and the rough will be even more brutal.

•  

Shades of Bethpage Black, if I want bad weather ill wait il the Open!

•  

THEY HAD BETTER HIT THE FAIRWAYS.

LONG WET,TIGHT ROUGH,,,,,,,UGGGHH.

•  

DOGLOSKI
    THEY HAD BETTER HIT THE FAIRWAYS.

Brandel and nobillo were saying the courses loses it's defense when the rains comes. balls don't run out and you can just drop shots onto the green.

they are talking about how scoring records may fall, due to the rain

•  

REMEMBER,,,,,,,,,NO LIFT,CLEAN AND PLACE AT USGA TOURNAMENTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I THINK THAT'S HOW I REMEMBER IT.

OUCH.

•  

DOGLOSKI
    REMEMBER,,,,,,,,,NO LIFT,CLEAN AND PLACE AT USGA TOURNAMENTS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I THINK THAT'S HOW I REMEMBER IT.

OUCH.

That will make it interesting.

However you just know that when the greens are soft they will shoot the lights out ... US Open or not!

Merion without hard and fast greens will definitely be gettable.

• 3066 points

Looks like the sun won't come out until Friday. Definitely a soggy and most likely muddy start. Accuracy will be premium: talk about drop and stop. Can't wait, It will be interesting.

•  

RANDYWILDMAN
    DOGLOSKITHEY HAD BETTER HIT THE FAIRWAYS.

Brandel and nobillo were saying the courses loses it's defense when the rains comes. balls don't run out and you can just drop shots onto the green.

balls might not run through the fairway and into the rough, but a ball that lands in the rough is staying there.  and it's not going to be easy getting out of there!  i'm really curious how the scores will go.  keep it in the fairway, and you can go low.  stray a little bit and i think you'll see some high sores.

•  

tdogg21

RANDYWILDMAN
    DOGLOSKITHEY HAD BETTER HIT THE FAIRWAYS.

balls might not run through the fairway and into the rough, but a ball that lands in the rough is staying there.  and it's not going to be easy getting out of there!  i'm really curious how the scores will go.  keep it in the fairway, and you can go low.  stray a little bit and i think you'll see some high sores.

I remember when TW won at Royal Liverpool without using a driver. I could see the big hitters do that just staying in the fairway.