Forums

It's National Donut Day.....

•  

Doughnut Day has inspiring historical roots. During WWI, Salvation Army workers aiding soldiers abroad decided it would boost morale to serve doughnuts to those on the front lines. Very resourceful, workers fried seven at a time in military-issued helmets. In 1938, the Salvation Army decided to honor those “doughnut lassies” by creating National Doughnut Day, a nationwide fundraiser for the SA’s social service programs; today, the annual celebration still raises money for the organization (watch for volunteers collecting donations throughout the Chicago area, or donate online here.) Dunkin’ Donuts is giving out free doughnuts with any beverage purchase all day (on Friday, June 7), but don't you think you’d be more satisfied with a freshly fried fritter from a local favorite?

Here are some locales across the country to check out for that free donut 

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/free-doughnuts-on-national-donut-day-2013

Some unusual flavors to consider too -

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/weird-donut-flavors?click=main_sr#slide-1

• 1466 points

Love the Arnold Palmer flavor, love the drink gotta find the donut

•  

MMMM! Doughnuts!

•  

interesting.  i didn't know the back story.  i just knew my sister dropped donuts on my front porch this morning!

•  

I picked up my healthy chocolate covered with my coffee this morning.

•  

Sadly we have no DD out here.....

• 2956 points

Tar Heel

Yeah, but don't you have Krispy Kremes and Southland? Saw that Southland sold out today.

• 1466 points

Tar Heel

Don't know if I could live there!

•  

My wife went for her coffee at DD this morning and brought me a free donut. She said it was National Donut Day, but I didn't know the story behind it. Boy, we can learn all kinds of things on the FJC, not just golf stuff.

• 1466 points

Don't know if anyone had Dunkin's new glazed donut egg sandwhich but it was sooooo good!

• 5170 points

Tar Heel

Tar Heel,

I had a couple for you.

•  

Tar Heel

We don't have DD downunder either.

Would definitely be my favourite day!

• 4396 points

I skipped out on National Donut Day.  Only because the local DD's and Tim Hortons and donut shops are all CRAZY busy.

I love that I can come to the FJC and be educated!  Thanks GGG!