Forums

Golf Books

• 2883 points

Gzink96
    Little Red Book is great, one of my personal favorites is A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne, he walks all over Ireland to play different coures, very very good!

reading this one now and about half thru it -- I second Gzink96 suggestion about A Course called Ireland.  

• 1466 points

Daly's In and Out of the Rough is another good one, could read it in one sitting!

•  

i just finished this book:

www.amazon.com/.../1602396825

i highly recommend for an enjoyable golf book.

•  

OK, so this is slightly off-topic, but I read Dave Stockton's Unconscious Scoring in the spring. I had read Unconscious Putting a couple of years ago, which was nice, but the newer book is better. I've been playing 40 years and Dave does a great job of simplifying the short game - high shot or low shot, as simple as that, with two methods, low shot is more left-handed, high shot is more right-handed. It's taken me a bit of a while to lock it in, but I'm almost there.

It also has a great chapter on sand play. I can finally get out of the sand with confidence!

Happy reading!

•  

MyFeetAreHappy
    OK, so this is slightly off-topic, but I read Dave Stockton's Unconscious Scoring in the spring. I had read Unconscious Putting a couple of years ago, which was nice, but the newer book is better. I've been playing 40 years and Dave does a great job of simplifying the short game - high shot or low shot, as simple as that, with two methods, low shot is more left-handed, high shot is more right-handed. It's taken me a bit of a while to lock it in, but I'm almost there.

It also has a great chapter on sand play. I can finally get out of the sand with confidence!

Happy reading!

I am open to all books golf related.

My philosphy on reading is: I will gladly trade the time to read a book/article for a new point of view or idea.

• 5692 points

Do not hesitate to pick up a copy of George Plimpton's book, "The Bogey Man". Plimpton was a noted author who wrote about various experiences playing with various professional sports teams. He tried pro golf and his account is a classic:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogey-Man-Month-PGA-Tour/dp/B0058M9HDG/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370871386&sr=1-12

• 373 points

This one's more about playing than designing, but Tom Watson wrote a great (and short) book called "Smart Golf".  I read it several years ago, and still use a lot of the tips and thoughts in my game to this day.

• 627 points

MarkWDallasTx

I am interested in learning more about course design and how to maintain a course.

Grounds For Golf, Geoff Shackelford

The Golden Age of Golf Design, Geoff Shackelford

The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, Tom Doak

Or just hang around over on golfclubatlas.com.

•  

smashdn
    MarkWDallasTx

I am interested in learning more about course design and how to maintain a course.

Grounds For Golf, Geoff Shackelford

The Golden Age of Golf Design, Geoff Shackelford

The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, Tom Doak

Or just hang around over on golfclubatlas.com.

Thanks for the steer to Golfclubatlas.com. Very intersting website.