Forums

Impact tape

• 4740 points

Does anyone use impact tape regularly during practice sessions?

• 1135 points

Not regularly but I use it from time to time just to see where I am making contact. I can typically tell where on the face I am hitting the ball. That being said, if it is something that you find useful then by all means use it. It is a great tool to help with solid contact.

•  

I check my club's lies with tape and and a lie board. Do this a couple times a year and then once or twice I have the specs checked on the machine. 

• 4740 points

I have been losing distance with my driver. I went to the range yeasterday hit a few balls. I was hitting it high on the club face. I did a little research about using and found an interesting vidoe by Dave Pelz using impact tape to practice with a putter.

• 1466 points

If I ever feel as though I am hitting it off the toe and reaching for it (one of my faults) I'll throw some impact tape on it to check and hit with it for about a week until I work out the flaw. Similar to NCBob I'll check my lie every 4-5 months espicially if I'm fading/drawing a little too much. Interested to hear if anyone else uses it regularly!

•  

Monitoring contact is always a good idea, as is alignment and ball position. I found a product called DeadOn that is essentially a big, dry-erase marker. It doesn't affect the flight and wipes off clean.

• 3539 points

I'm with NCBob and Gzink, I use tape and a lie board a couple times a year to check my angles. I think it's a good idea to practice with impact tape, it lets you know if you're making consistent contact.  

•  

i do with new clubs that i buy so i can see how i hit it and adjust the club accordingly

• 4177 points

Interestingly enough my wife just picked up some new clubs the other day and the first thing we did was go out and get some impact tape for her.

•  

I have never used impact tape other than when I was fit or in the shoe box for testing.  It certainly is telling though.

•  

Gzink96
    If I ever feel as though I am hitting it off the toe and reaching for it (one of my faults) I'll throw some impact tape on it to check and hit with it for about a week until I work out the flaw. Similar to NCBob I'll check my lie every 4-5 months especially if I'm fading/drawing a little too much. Interested to hear if anyone else uses it regularly!

It's interesting to note your "reaching for it" comment. Many of us tend to do that very thing so often, yet it's rarely mentioned. I'm as guilty as anyone and it creeps in so easily. It feels powerful, but it really is a weaker position and creates a lot of "foul balls". Thanks for posting the comment.