Forums

What's Most Difficult to Replace?

•  

19hole
    Devin_GmitterI used to change drivers and putters like I changed socks. Fairway's and hybrids usually stay the longest.  Iron's I usually keep for 4-5 years, technology doesn't change to much in the butterknives I like to play.

You really need to change your socks more than once a season!

I can't get into this one at all!

•  

Definitely irons.  I have had 4 sets of irons since I started playing golf - Titleist Tour Model 90, Titleist 962 Black Diamond, Titleist 735.CM, and Titleist ZB.  Putters are very easy to switch - lots of new styles and things to try.  The woods are a different game all together - technology changes so fast with them...

•  

probably irons than driver for me...

•  

I can irons every two years -  wedges every year -  putter not very often (currently have two gamers).

•  

I'm a bit of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sort and don't change my clubs very much.

Usually keep my irons for ages and only have a couple of putters and one set of woods/metals.

Now paradoxically that certainly doesn't stop me always looking for "something better" and there is so much great stuff out there that if the budget was unlimited I would experiment a liitle more and for the same reason if I had to replace my clubs don't think it would be much of an issue at all.

•  

I have replaced everything over the last 4 years.  But irons are rarely changed.  I had my 690 MB's for 8 years before switching to the AP2 710's.  Recently changed SC putters to a GoLo 5.  I rarely change putters, but really liked the look and feel.

TT

• 2781 points

I am constantly looking at the new equipment out there but, like most of you, I never look at new putters because it's such a "personal club".  Everyone has a different personality and if we took a poll here everyone might have a different putter.  It's just a feel club and so hard to replace.

• 3718 points

I think putter is about it.  Otherwise I dont have an attachment to any club.  If I come across something that tickles my fancy i'll give it a run.  In the past its always been new off the shelf crud - hoping that I'd get a bit better performance.  Now its properly fit gear.  If I change anything often it'll be the driver.

•  

breckhockey
    How about if I just state the age of my clubs:

Driver: 2008  (previous 2005, previous 1993, previous 1976)

Hybrids:  2005-6

Irons (1, 3-SW):  1997  (previous 1986, previous 1976)

Lob Wedge:  1993

Putter:  1981  (previous 1976)

So my oldest club is my 32-year old putter, followed by my 20-year old lob wedge.  My newest club is my driver.  

I believe you are better off investing your money in instruction before the newest club technology.

i use to feel that way, but honestly, clubs have made such a huge jump in the last 10 years, you're holding yourself back.  i just switched irons this year for the first time since about 94 or 95.  my new irons are at least 2 clubs longer with the same height and more spin on the greens.  so now instead of hitting a 7 iron into the green, i'm hitting a 9 or even a wedge.

• 4650 points

Tdogg21 - Wow! That's a huge gain in distance , something on the order of 20 or so yards if you assume the distance difference between each club is 10 yards ...What irons did you retire and what is now in your bag? NO question that new designs have altered COG and make energy transfer from strikes more efficient. Are your new irons longer shafted? Stronger lofts?

• 2762 points

Putter for me.  Second is driver.  

•  

For me, putters are the most difficult, which is why I probably don't change much. My philosophy is when something goes wrong, it's probably "the indian, not the arrow". Also, shafts affect the performance of a club more than anything else and, getting the right shaft may be the hardest thing to do.

• 781 points

putter, irons, wedges, driver, hybrid, and fairway woods in these order :)

•  

Find a good 3 wood and a good hybrid and keep it as long as I can.  Those of you not changing equipment are giving the course too much of an advantage. Grooves on irons and wedges wear over time. The other thing the specs change from hitting too many shots so the clubs you bought years ago may have a different loft or lie than you think it does.

•  

pistolpete
    Tdogg21 - Wow! That's a huge gain in distance , something on the order of 20 or so yards if you assume the distance difference between each club is 10 yards ...What irons did you retire and what is now in your bag? NO question that new designs have altered COG and make energy transfer from strikes more efficient. Are your new irons longer shafted? Stronger lofts?

you're right, i did gain about 20+ yards.  i went from Lynx Black Cats with steel shafts to Callaway Razr X Black with graphite shafts.  and yes, the lofts are much stronger.  they are almost one club higher than my Black Cats.  but i still get the same height and more spin on the greens.  changing virtually all of my equipment over the last 3 or 4 years has made a huge difference.