Forums

Wicker baskets at Merion for US Open

•  

I did not know this but Merion Golf Club, home of the 2013 US open does not use flags but rather wicker baskets on top of the flag stick:

Pretty cool. The players will have to look for different ways to judge the wind at the US Open. Here are a couple articles I found about the baskets:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/u-open-feature-wicker-baskets-instead-flags-merion-173353981.html

http://www.meriongolfclub.com/Club-Information/Merion-History.aspx

•  

I got invite to play there, yippee! They don't allow GPS or rangefinders, old school golf!

•  

TNT009
    I got invite to play there, yippee! They don't allow GPS or rangefinders, old school golf!

that's awesome!  i hope to be able to play there someday.

•  

i'm not too far from there and a friend lives about 30 minutes away.  so i'll probably go over for at least one day at the US Open.

•  

TNT009

I read that as well! And the course is not marked, the caddies are "experts" at giving distances. Let me know how the round goes!

•  

Ooh it'll be later this year after Sept if all goes well!

• 373 points

I'm really excited for a little something different.

•  

Best of luck TNT, have fun..

• 4499 points

TNT - have a great time and make sure you let us know how it went :)

That's really cool about the wicker baskets!   Old school golf can be the best.

•  

Will be at Merion 6/12 - 6/16 Volunteering at the Open so will get to see this interesting concept first hand. If anyone else is volunteering or attending you can find me in Corporate Hospitality @ the Glam Slam Village !

•  

TNT009

Todd that's awesome!  Should be a memorable experience for sure.  And that is very interesting that they don't allow their members to use GPS or rangefinders for daily play.  I'm guessing they still use caddies and do that so as to encourage use of the caddies?  

•  

Asked 'my friend' about the basket and was told to give you no edge on reading the wind! Basically make to *** it up!

• 2781 points

I love the uniqueness of the wicker baskets. Just another thing to add to the flair of the US Open!

•  

Like the old school baskets.  Golf Tradition at it's best.    So glad the USGA made a good decision on Merion.

• 2180 points

Couldn't agree more.. It will be fun to watch on how some of the newer generation of players work around that course.. Should make for some good watching