Forums

Drug testing in Golf

•  

thoughts?

espn.go.com/.../greg-norman-calls-golf-drug-testing-disgraceful

i tend to agree with him.

•  

It's a joke and egg is on the Comish's face! Make it look like golfers are not athletes!

•  

i feel like this is a perfect opportunity to have a "clean sport."  with all of the drug issues around, to be able to say "we are clean and here is proof." could go a long way for the sport.  i guarantee there would be new viewers who might have left other sports (like cycling) and are looking to follow a clean sport.  and it's better to be ahead of the curve than trying to catch up and clean up your name after there is a problem.  cycling is probably the cleanest sport now, but i'm not sure they will ever build their reputation back up.

•  

Drug testing makes sense, it is a hassle but it would be good to know when players are clean. I have no idea how many golfers use PEDs but I don't want it in the sport, personally.

•  

Drug testing makes sense, it is a hassle but it would be good to know when players are clean. I have no idea how many golfers use PEDs but I don't want it in the sport, personally.

•  

Why not? Golf will be an olympic sport in 2016 and if drug tests are made in all the other sports why golf should be different?

• 5264 points

Set a target date and declare that as of that date drug testing of all professional golfers will occur. Emulate one of the programs that works for another professional sport. Given the amount of money involved, I am sure clean golfers will approve of a bona fide drug testing program. Sponsors want assurance that their products and services are associating with quality and honesty. Not sure what the revenue flows look like for professional golf, but I imagine individual tournament sponsors are important to the financial integrity of the game. I don't think TV $ would paper over losses if sponsors thought their dollars were not supporting and promoting the best character traits..

•  

In the late 60's we tested lots of drugs

• 2772 points

No question that there should be drug testing.  How can we ask "clean" pro's to compete against some folks  that are being helped by  being chemicals freaks. So many of the rules of golf depend on the integrity of the players and failing to require drug tests would against the grain of the sport.

• 457 points

Sure would be nice to see alot of the guys, ( just do it)  submit to a blood test on there own. Too start a trend

•  

A sport that a player will call a shot on himself for something that no one saw, do we really need drug testing.  Most drugs act as a depressant, not a good thing. Beta blockers may help with nerves but also contribute to E D. Nice trade off?  Bulking up is not great when it reduces flexibility. Alright give them a test during all the majors.

Mr Holley, How do halucegenics  make your golf swing look?  Woodstock anyone?

•  

NCBob

A sport that a player will call a shot on himself for something that no one saw, do we really need drug testing.  Most drugs act as a depressant, not a good thing. Beta blockers may help with nerves but also contribute to E D. Nice trade off?  Bulking up is not great when it reduces flexibility. Alright give them a test during all the majors.

Mr Holley, How do halucegenics  make your golf swing look?  Woodstock anyone?

• 4420 points

I'm all about testing.  You have a lot of people out there who will do anything to get that edge.  Look at how many mini tour players out there are right on the edge of being able to compete on the tour - do you really think they wouldn't look for that little bit of help?

Overall our sport is all about honest and integrity - but we know that human nature means that on occasion people will do what is wrong instead of what is right.

• 2180 points

The thing with drug testing is it still won't stop usage... There are tons of pro athletes out there that take mountains of (border line illegal) drugs to gain advantage, whether it's for muscle gain/strengthening or faster recovery from injury, etc... The problem lies in what's legal versus non... As soon as say the nfl puts a new drug on the no no list.. The makers of these drugs slightly alter the formula and do a name change.. Boom now it is a legal "supplement"... I know a fairly famous nfl player who openly admits to using drugs in this fashion.. Also to using drugs on the banned list during the off season, they where supplied by the team to "get them ready for up coming season"... Clean for two weeks before training camp and boom. Clean drug tests, as they can only use ***/blood testing for those types of drugs, not the hair folicale which can go back months dependings on usage..

• 1135 points

Unfortunately, drug testing is a part of all professional sports and golf is no different. There is way too much money on the line every week and there will always be someone who is tempted to obtain an unfair advantage, This is the realist attitude in me coming out. My romantic side  thinks that golfers should hold themselves to a higher standard and be able to police themselves but I know this is just a nice thought.