Forums

Significant Other

•  

Both of the kids have played but my wife may reluctantly give in. Being a type A and highly competitive, she wants to be good right away so I am arranging lessons for her this summerY ) ***without me to view or comment). Wish us luck.

•  

She is not a fan of the game, so leaves it to me as my time to get away and decompress. she is more of a sit by the pool with drink in hand kind of a girl.

• 4351 points

jlawton1
    Both of the kids have played but my wife may reluctantly give in. Being a type A and highly competitive, she wants to be good right away so I am arranging lessons for her this summerY ) ***without me to view or comment). Wish us luck.

This is actually what made it tough for her to love the game, but it also got her hooked.  She's a fairly active person and I'm always playing one sport or another.  When she found my passion for golf and how much I enjoyed to play,she told me she'd like to try it.  As a compromise I told her I'd fun her golf activities if she did indeed take to it (that has turned into a MISTAKE!!).

First year she got a set of off the shelf clubs.  And we'd go out and hit around.  She'd get SO MAD (she expected to be at least semi-proficient right out of the game).  But she put up with it.  The next year I got her a lesson or two which were unsuccessful.  She didn't improve much at all.  

Last summer I found out that my old high school health teacher is the local pro at one of our nicer courses here.  So I scheduled a few lessons with him (he charges a single price for an hour no matter how many students you bring).  He taught her from the ground up and would give me some help at the same time.

She made decent strides and ended up beating me a few rounds (sadly because I had 15 years of hacking at the ball, bad habits keep my score north of 100 regularly).  By the end of the season with proper teaching we both had improved significantly (I broke 100 multiple times).

This year I told her we'd look into properly fitted gear for her.  I also found another local teacher who has both indoor and outdoor teaching facilities and is a little more technology oriented (K-Vest / swing video / simulator).  I liked his approach so I took the wife there.

Just one lesson and she made easily the largest leap in ability that I've seen.  I think we're hooked on him.  Just last night to prove the point about how equipment makes a difference at a certain point just due to quality , we were at the driving range last night and I handed my driver (too long, shaft is too stiff, etc) to her and had her choke down.  Her first drive landed right around the distance where her own clubs would've finished rolling out.  I told her to imagine how well she'd do with a club that actually fit her and had a bit more flex to it.

So needless to say we'll probably be scheduling a fitting for her soon and I have someone who will gladly play golf whenever.  

Did I mention I told her I'd foot the bill from day 1?   I refuse to go back and look at what I've spent on her half of this hobby so far!!

•  

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed my wife will come over to the dark side.

•  

I was talking about buying a new driver and 3 wood and my future wife said "Does that mean I can use your old driver and 3 wood?" "I wanna play too." I would love to share golf with her but she also understands that is my time, and likely my guy time as well. Find the balance.

•  

Wells I think it's about time a Gal chimed in....Luv the stories guys!  Got into golf based on the interest of the man of my (mistaken) dreams. He flew the coop but the passion for golf stayed with me...I like the - 'Social Aspect' as TH notes and 'Drinks by the Pool' as Shawn notes, I need - Someone to 'fund' my golf habit like etakmit does and Hope for '40 years of bliss' as NC Bob notes...

Golf is something you can use for your own time as can your spouse or significant other for their own time...But I think playing together is a great way of sharing and exploring passion for the game and each other in different light. Have just begun dating a fellow who advised he "seems to never have played golf very well" but offered to be my caddy...Well, negotiations are underway-

Fishing & Motorcycling participation for me (Yikes) and Golfing for Jim (I think he's got it easier, lol !)

As for those 'Type A' personalities noted - Just get them out there to practice and play. The lessons will be so helpful....Every bit of success and inch of improvement will build their confidence and entice them to continue to keep on going and getting on course. I look forward to playing with them all !

•  

My wife thinks I am in the  National Guard

•  

My wife has grown to enjoy the game more and more. This will be a good year for her, lessons start soon.

• 2756 points

Mine is good for cart golf, 9 holes on a very short track.  But it's better than nothing!

• 344 points

Golf is probably the reason I'm single, 36-54 holes at a time.

• 1135 points

My wife has accepted my golf habit and has little interest in taking it up herself. Since our son was born, I haven't had the opportunity to play or even practice as often as I would have liked. I am definitely not complaining though. He is about to turn three so I am getting a little excited for him to join the First Tee. It's still a year away but that helped me find my passion for the game again.

•  

Mine will play 9. She's coming around, and enjoys it enough. She loves the 19th and enjoys driving the cart more than playing the game. We also need space shuttle launch conditions for her to play. Not too hot, not too cold, not too windy etc.  

I have to say, getting her some cute golf cloths has helped.

•  

I salute you "service" Bruce....keep up the good work!!

• 4351 points

BostonBuzza
    My wife has grown to enjoy the game more and more. This will be a good year for her, lessons start soon.

Definitely get those lessons in.  They help the confidence!!!

My wife isn't a big clothes shopper but of course she loves to try to find "cute" stuff for golf.

Mine gets a ton of credit though.  She'll play in the worst of conditions (cold/rainy/etc) if we have plans to get out.  She's definitely hooked!

•  

Deno
    I salute you "service" Bruce....keep up the good work!!

Thanks Deno during Desert Storm I was actually in Arizona for 2 months.