Forums

Significant Other

• 3673 points

Do they play golf with you?  Do they share your passion?  Do they put up with it?

My wife picked up golf a few years back.  The last two years I've gotten her lessons and she's made huge strides.  We finish our ski/snowboarding season and she's looking forward to golf season.

I like it, I always have someone to go with  and if I have a round scheduled with the guys, she doesn't care.

• 4617 points

My wife used a feigned interest in golf to reel me in when we were dating. When I met her, I told her I have two crazy passions in the sporting world: competitive sail boat racing and golf. As both sports take up lots and lots of weekend time (sailing was all day and golf could be the same or at least half a day), I told her that for the sake of our budding relationship, I would compromise and give up one sport. Sailing was out and especially when I asked her if she had ever played golf. She allowed as to how she hadn't but was going to sign up for lessons at the local course, which she did. She bought a six lesson plan and at about lesson three or so, she decided that she could let the cat out of the bag and let me know she thought playing and watching golf was about as interesting as watching grass grow or paint dry! I didn't run for the hills, so she obviously was, and remains today, far more dialed in to the  fickle nuances of our relationship! Thankfully!!

•  

My wife is starting to become addicted, but just doesnt make time to practice!

•  

my wife wants to play, but as of yet she doesn't.  and now that we are raising a family, it will probably be a while until she learns.  selfishly i hesitated a little in having her play.  don't want to cut my golf budget in half!

•  

That is good thing that you and your wife could golf together-- I think that's awesome!

Since I've picked up golf, I have tried to get my wife interested in it, but still to date, the answer is no.  I haven't stopped asking or hinting rather.  But what I do is each time I visit a memorable golf course, I pick something up for my wife.  Wind breaker, visor, or sweater.  Her favorite one I got her was the simplest of all from the Marine Memorial Golf Course in San Diego, a sweat shirt with large embroidery of USMC.  We may not golf together, but sometimes in a casual gathering with friends, people seem to notice the FJ in us even though they aren't golfers and we seem to get nice compliments.  Needless to say the new stuff she likes now are of the same brand I love, FootJoy!

•  

My wife has accepted my golf along with me--and has put up with it for the 50+ years we've known each other.  She took up golf twice:  first time ended when she got pregnant with our first; second--you guessed it--ended with the second pregnancy.  After that, she devoted her time and efforts to the kids, leaving the golf to me as my way to unwind after a busy work week.  Golf took a bit of a back seat while the kids were small, but as they grew, I go to play more often, when possible.  I tried to get them interested, but neither one caught the bug.  One son-in-law plays, but none of the grandsons…yet.

• 2781 points

My wife wants to play but is currently pregnant so we will have to wait a while until she can actually get out there with me.  She puts up with my obsession to a point haha

•  

I tried and retried to involve my wife, but definately gave up.

•  

My wife played golf routinely until the kids came along - she is in full Mommy mode (5 years old and 2 years old).  Right now she supports me getting out and playing when I can.  I respect that and recognize that my responsibilities changed with the kids - they come first.  I am sure that as the kids get older, we will all play as a family.   Until then, she is a great cheerleader.

•  

Mine has no interest in golf.  She hasn't even seen me hit a shot in over 5 years.  Instead she encourages me to go play a lot, doesn't care what I spend on golf, maybe that is why we have our 40th coming up soon.

•  

My wife won't play golf as long as we are married.  hahahahahaha

TT

•  

My wife has clubs..... She prefers the social aspect of golf. Swinging a club is another matter.

•  

No chance.   She hits a beautiful ball, but hates the effort.   Cocktails at poolside more to her liking.

Deno

•  

My beloved tolerates my golfing activities ... just!

Not interested in Sport full stop.  

•  

My wife will watch golf tournaments with me, but we've never golfed together.  I can blame that on having 4 kids.  She says that she eventually wants to go out and play with me....but only if we walk.  Maybe I can teach her to be my caddy.