Forums

Re-gripping

• 4351 points

Simply - you get a compressor and an inflating pin.  Shoot blasts of air into the small hole on the end of your grip.  If the end of the club is blocked off - the air will have nowhere to go but out inbetween the shaft / grip.  If you pull on the grip as you apply air in short bursts, the grip should release from the tape (thanks to the air pressure) and slide right off.

There are also "PURE" grips out there (www.puregrips.com/tapeless_installation) that do tapeless installation and claim that they don't move at all.

•  

TNT009
    I use air!! its fast, easy and can reuse grips or realign!

Have you had an issues??  I've been debating trying this. Just not brave enough for my driver or longer clubs. Thinking I'll start with my putter and wedges.

•  

Wheelez3030
    TNT009I use air!! its fast, easy and can reuse grips or realign!

todd how do you air

Search YouTube. You'll find plenty of videos on how to do it.

•  

Great post........I need to re-grip my ball retriever......

•  

I usually just leave it up to my pro and re-grip the clubs once a year, sometimes a few of the clubs I use more often get new grips twice.  

If you are going to try it yourself, try the air route as it tends to be the quickest and cleanest.

• 4351 points

Ty Webb
    Great post........I need to re-grip my ball retriever......

Gotta get on that!  You definitely don't want to have that slipping!

•  

Air compressor and 1.5 inch masking tape!

• 4351 points

I may try the compressor once my new grips show up.  Removing it without cutting is a good thing.  Especially on the driver.  I'd be so afraid of compromising the graphite shaft!

• 4351 points

Completed my regripping over two days as I had free time.  Very happy with the outcome.  Hindsight says I should've picked up all black for the 3w and Driver.  But no worries I'll take care of that next time :)  Ended up going with a hook blade and elbow grease on removal (and very very cautious cutting on the graphite shafts).  No big deal though overall.  Love the feel of the Winn DriTacs!  Now to get a few rounds in with them!

•  

go with the golf pride tour wrap...they are quite tacky and remain that way with a simple wipe with a wet towel while playing and clean up back to tackiness with warm water and Dawn dish soap...they also last a long time....

• 4351 points

I actually didn't like the feel of the tour wraps.  After I've worn these out I'm going to try something in the GP line.  Just not sure what yet.  Have to give everyone their fair chance before I decide on something to stick with consistently.

Fortunately in the realm of golf gear, grips are not super expensive (outside of the time spent re-gripping).

•  

RedHusky
    I just leave it to the professionals but I have heard it is really easy.

I second that  !  Too many other projects requiring my attention. Cherish my clubs so don't want to hurt them, lol

•  

Puregrips.....  I love them!!!  No tape or messing  with solvent!!

• 4351 points

johndeere10
    Puregrips.....  I love them!!!  No tape or messing  with solvent!!

Actually the local pro that I solicit advise/knowledge from is from the hank haney school of teaching and they love their PURE grips there.  He's having a re-gripping day where they'll do a whole set of clubs for you for less than 100.

Those are on my list to try sometime.  Maybe if I find some that feel great to me!

•  

I see that you've completed the job, but I'll chip in anyway. I treated myself to a "Re-gripping Station" from Golfsmith.com. The quick release clamp is really handy and it helps you align the grip. It also allows you to be more liberal with the liquid as it has a catch basin to recycle it. Looks like they don't carry it any more, but it's the one at the bottom of this page: www.golfmechanix.com/Items.asp