Forums

curing the slice

•  

tthat was the name of the article i looked at on golf.com.  it talked about pre-cocking your right hip just prior to the beginning of your backswing. most of my drives average @220 yrds with a slight fade and when i miss, it's usually over the top and here come the slice.

today i seemed to have that over the top problem under contro till it showed its ugly head on the 6th hole.  7 and 8 were good and i missed right on 9, but it wasn't a slice.

then on the 10th tee i remembered the article and decided to try it out. moving my right hip slightly around away from the target to begin my backswing.  i'm glad that i set up for the center of the fairway because all of a sudden i developed a nice little draw and throughou the back 9 my drives were all @240.

go figure,  is that why they say  "well that's golf!!"

this seemed to help me and if it can help someone else, here you go.

•  

beej, while that may have helped, lessons are the real cure. I have taken several and my slice now comes when I stand too close to the ball and forget to keep my head up. I would never have believed that those two steps would have made  that much difference. Posture is a major key to good drives and other shots.

•  

eagle3

beej, while that may have helped, lessons are the real cure. I have taken several and my slice now comes when I stand too close to the ball and forget to keep my head up. I would never have believed that those two steps would have made  that much difference. Posture is a major key to good drives and other shots.

it's truely remarkable how much difference an inch here or there in your swing can make in the result of your shot.

•  

beej, another way to help promote the draw if the moving the hip feels unnatural, is to drop your right foot (for right handed golfers) back about 2 inches and forward for a fade. 

A lot of people I know, close or open the club face for a draw or fade but for me, my body tries to correct it and I will loose it right or left depending on which shot I am trying to hit.  A little change in my stance does the trick for me, the ball position and everything stays the same.

But like eagle said, they best way is to grab a lesson or two.  Good luck!

•  

A friend of mine was taught this by one of our pros.  He hits beautiful little draws all day.
    Tim

•  

EMKelly0106

beej, another way to help promote the draw if the moving the hip feels unnatural, is to drop your right foot (for right handed golfers) back about 2 inches and forward for a fade. 

A lot of people I know, close or open the club face for a draw or fade but for me, my body tries to correct it and I will loose it right or left depending on which shot I am trying to hit.  A little change in my stance does the trick for me, the ball position and everything stays the same.

But like eagle said, they best way is to grab a lesson or two.  Good luck!

the hip feels comfertable  and i feel the weight transfer and balance is good, but i always like trying something different. sometimes it can become part of my game sometimes not. your change of stance may be a better fix for me, so i'll definatly give it a try.  it just might give me the ability to work my ball left and right on purpose. right i can do, left has always been an accident.

•  

One thing that has helped me is turning my left foot (right foor for you right handed golfers) out a little to help my hip turn. Keeps everything moving att he same speed and keeps the hips from turn ing to fast.

lessons are the way to go.

•  

I totally agree. I play with Tim6918 and he had pick my head up and my dad figured out I was standing to close to the ball and now I am hitting it straighter.

•  

Definately lessons are the way to go. You may find during them that your equipment will not let you hit a draw. If your shafts are too stiff for you, you will never hit a draw. What looks like a draw is propably more of an over the top pull.

•  

I know when I start to slice its because I'm taking my club past parallel and am not able to get it around quick enough leaving the face open at impact.

Keeping focused on making sure my club does not get past parallel allows me to avoid slicing.

•  

My slice is almost always cured when I stop swinging like a maniac, lol