Forums

Will Phil make the cut??

•  

As often as I watch Phil, I wonder if he will make the cut after the first round of the Fedex Cup. I believe he takes too many chances and that is his downfall. If he wouldn't try those fantastic shots, i honestly believe he would really give Tiger a run for his money.

•  

I think this season is kind of a wash for Phil.  Family comes first and his family has had plenty to deal with this season.  I'm a big fan of Phil.  I hope his family gets a clean bill of health and he comes back focused and energized for next season.  I think golf is much better when Phil is playing well and challenging Tiger.

•  

Agreed Memphis - hopefully his family life gets back to normal for their sake, and he can get back to where he was next year.  As far as challenging Tiger though, I think it's been pretty clear that there's no one out there who can do it on a regular basis.  Sure, Phil has been a pretty consistent #2, but he still can't hang with him week in and week out.

• 4775 points

memphisunited

I think this season is kind of a wash for Phil.  Family comes first and his family has had plenty to deal with this season.  I'm a big fan of Phil.  I hope his family gets a clean bill of health and he comes back focused and energized for next season.  I think golf is much better when Phil is playing well and challenging Tiger.

I agree.  I think Phil takes a beating for his style of play but it's the excitement that makes me his fan. 

•  

eagle3

As often as I watch Phil, I wonder if he will make the cut after the first round of the Fedex Cup. I believe he takes too many chances and that is his downfall. If he wouldn't try those fantastic shots, i honestly believe he would really give Tiger a run for his money.

Phil is an aggressive player and if he wasn't, he wouldn't be playing his game.  If he's hitting the ball well, I am all for him going for anything and everything.  I would like to see him back off when he isn't hitting the ball solid but, that's what makes Phil... well, Phil. 

I like his attitude on the course and I like seeing him go for it, it makes for an interesting round.  Phil's course management skills are great, he knows what he can do and he will try to do it.  I respect that from any player.  I'm glad he doesn't change his game because people think he's too aggressive.

Nonetheless, I think the season is done for Phil.  He's had a tough couple months and he is just looking toward next year.  I wish him all the best.  

I haven't heard if he committed to playing though?

•  

He will make it, but I don't think he is going to make it that much farther.  He has slightly more important things on his plate then golf.  His family is experience some pretty difficult challenges right now and his mind is in a different place.

Tim

•  

Did Phil commit to play in the playoff events?

•  

I haven' heard either way, but I am sure he will show up.  This is the biggest thing for the Tour ourside of the Majors.

Tim

•  

I believe that he has committed to play.

If he does, I hope he plays well and is around until the end. The guy deserves a break.

•  

All wonderful comments on Phil here, and very much on point.

As a fellow "Lefty," I have always been a PhilFan from the moment he came on tour. Really an all around good guy and exciting as heck to watch.

Given the personal turn of events this year, I'd be surprised to see Phil play in the events that are left. As I've pondered "What will Phil do," I considered if the President's Cup or the FedEx Cup were more important to him, one versus the other. Frankly, he's not going to enter both, so which does he really want to participate in? Since it's not too far from home, I think we just might see him in the President's Cup, mostly because he can enjoy a competition that isn't as intense as the FedEx, but he could still contribute in a team format. It would also give him some time to interact more with fans, and I think he's really hungry for that right now, mostly to say thanks to people that are supporting he and Amy. So President's (yes) and FedEx (no).

Then again, this is Phil we're taking about, and he is so unpredictable! In the end, that's why you just have to root for him.

•  

I think he makes the cut.  I think he will be relaxed and play well.  As stated, this season is a wash.  I am hoping for a good year from him next.  He started off well so hopefully he can do the same next.  The last couple of years have been rough.  First he has the wrist injury after starting with Butch.  That basically took him out of those majors.  Then this year with his families health.