Forums

THE COST OF GOLF BALLS

•  

THE NEW PRO V'S ARE OUT!  GREAT....I LOVE THE BALL!  BUT THE PRICE OF THE PRO V AND OTHER PREMIUM BALLS HAS BECOME AN ISSUE WITH ME.  I THINK THIS YEAR WILL BE THE FIRST YEAR I WILL REGULARLY PLAY A BALL THAT IS NOT A PREMIUM BALL.  LAST YEAR I SOMETIMES PLAYED THE NXT TOUR S AND THE CALLAWAY DIABLO TOUR BALL.  I FOUND THEM BOTH TO BE QUITE ACCEPTABLE.  OUR GRAANS HERE IN WESTERN PA ARE GENERALLY PRETTY CONDUSIVE TO HOLDING A SHOT AND I HONESTLY DID NOT SEE MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PRO V1 AND THE OTHER BALLS MENTIONED.  

WITH THE COST OF EVERYTHING RISING, THE EVER INCREASING COST OF THE PREMIUM BALL, THE FACT THAT I AM NOT A PRO WHO NEEDS TO SPIN THE BALL BACK ON A HARD GREEN, AND MY POSITIVE  EXPERIENCE WITH 2ND TIER BALLS,  IT IS TIME FOR ME TO MAKE THE CHANGE.

ANYBODY ELSE FEEL THE SAME WAY?

•  

i agree with you.  i'm not against using a lesser ball.  especially if it helps me afford something else.  and with prices of everything going up, the golf budget only goes so far.  maybe someday i won't have to worry about it and just buy what i want, but until then, i have to make sacrifices and compromises.

• 3627 points

It's certainly gotten difficult justifying $50/dozen for golf balls. I usually switch to "2nd tier" balls...for example NXT Tours... for casual after work rounds and the like...but I still play with ProV's when it counts.

•  

Full agree with we, for my golf level I'm thinking even NXT Tour (the one I use) is too much.

• 5025 points

I am with you Bruce - $48 or $50 a dozen is steep! I am somewhat fortunate in that I play a fair amount of corporate-related golf and most events toss a few sleeves of high end balls into the deal. But I suspect even the sponsors of these events will balk at the rates for purchase...Besides, the NXT Tour is a great golf ball - by any measure..

• 627 points

$50 a dozen is more than the cost of most of my rounds on the courses that I play.

•  

Well with baby #2 coming I think I'm moving back down to NXT Tour S once I'm out of what I've got in the bag.  ;-/

•  

I get my PROV1Xs for a deep discount so I don't mind losing a few, but I have connections with the team I coach. I was was paying full price for them then I would understand. NXT Tour is an excellent ball and the few times I have used them I enjoyed the feel, just not as good as Xs.

•  

I just up my practice to prevent loosing them in the woods!

•  

I switch depending on time of year. Currently using PV1's, and I get a great deal in my clubhouse. Well under retail.

•  

Getting used to 1 type of ball just provides just another peice of consistency to the game.  I really don't mind paying for a premium ball such as the ProV1 if I know I am playing with the best.  I am now getting a full round or at least 9 holes out of every ball.  After that, they hit the shag bag.  

Best of luck to you and I think the most important  part is selecting a ball you feel comfortable and confident in.

•  

BRUCE, WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH FIXED INCOME.

SINCE I DON'T PLAY AS WELL AS I USED TO, I HAVE JUST ABOUT GIVEN UP ON THE NEW PROVS.

LOVE 'EM, BUT ,WHAT YA' GONNA  DO.

•  

I occasionally play the Tour S.  But it's a ProV1X #13 about 99% of the time.  I usually pick up dozens at a time when they have deals through Titleist.  Then can use Rick or my pro to get them ordered.

TT

•  

Bruce -  I rarely buy balls - by the time April comes around I will have found enough to get me through the summer.   Give the new pro V1s about 2 months in the market and I'll some to play (just need to snow to leave).  I think my current premium bag of balls (Pro Vs, Pentas, Bridgestone) has about 150 balls -  some will have a minor scape or two but fine for every day play.   I'll save you a dozen or so once the new Pro Vs start being lost.

• 1962 points

I used to not play ProV's because of cost but as my game has improved I find the need for the consistency I find in the ProV1X's. It also helps that the last 2 rounds ive played I haven't lost a single ball., so that bring's my total balls used to 2 for the last 36 holes :)