Forums

Rory brings back SC

• 2781 points

That has got to be a tough transition especially since he has been using Titleist his whole playing career.  Glad to see the Scotty back though.

•  

joshgiano
    He needs to cut the Method down about an inch and a half. It won't help his stroke, but it'll fit in the trash can and he'll be able to close the lid.

Priceless quote Josh!  As Todd said, this is all bout money because if any of them asked themselves, "Who switched and has become a better player?", they wouldn't like the answer.

• 1867 points

Nice to see the Cameron back in the bag, at least for a round.

•  

I get liking money, but when you've won both tours money list, I bet you've got plenty of cash. The move doesn't make sence.

•  

I saw the new Nike driver today. It looks terrible. It didn't have a chance to hit it, but I couldn't get past the look.

•  

joshgiano
    I get liking money, but when you've won both tours money list, I bet you've got plenty of cash. The move doesn't make sence.

i don't think money was the reason.  i find it hard to believe he wouldn't have been able to find enough sponsors to get the money up to pretty close to the same level.  it might not have all come from one company, but i think he could have done it.

i think this had to do with being a global icon.  he wanted to be "the man" at a company and Acushnet was never going to do that.  Titleist/FJ sell products on the reputation of the product.  other companies (especially Nike and Cobra/Puma) sell on the reputation of the player.  that meant he had to go with someone who would focus their marketing on him instead of the product.

•  

Money + Global Icon = Disaster from my perspective.....Visibilty, decorum, demeanor & winning on the tour create the reputation of a player. Reputation of the product they play with takes them further and adds to their personal brand....I like RM but think he's made a big mistake & might already realize it.....Time will tell if he can overcome the learning curve with the club switch.

•  

tdogg21
    joshgianoI get liking money, but when you've won both tours money list, I bet you've got plenty of cash. The move doesn't make sence.

i don't think money was the reason.  i find it hard to believe he wouldn't have been able to find enough sponsors to get the money up to pretty close to the same level.  it might not have all come from one company, but i think he could have done it.

i think this had to do with being a global icon.  he wanted to be "the man" at a company and Acushnet was never going to do that.  Titleist/FJ sell products on the reputation of the product.  other companies (especially Nike and Cobra/Puma) sell on the reputation of the player.  that meant he had to go with someone who would focus their marketing on him instead of the product.

IMO The best way to be "the man" is to win majors, and he was doing pretty good at that with Titleist. And swoosh still has Twoo.

•  

He's young, maybe the rush of stardom and success have led to rushed choices on his part.  Like Tim said above, he was just one of the flock under the Acushnet umbrella.  But he was playing with some of the finest equipment in the game.  The Swoosh offered him the world ($$$$) and he jumped.  He was already on top of the game and just climbing higher.  Let's hope this does not turn him into a train wreck.   OK, done with my rant.

TT

•  

If i got that much money at once I wouldn't even be playing golf unless there was a course at the Betty Ford facility

• 4647 points

bholley
    If i got that much money at once I wouldn't even be playing golf unless there was a course at the Betty Ford facility

LOL! I would love to see the financial projections that the financial wonks at N*ke  are making and what kind of  returns they expect will justify their $25 MM/yr for ten years investment in the brand named McIlroy. These guys are gamblers, that's for sure..If ti doesn't work out, make room at the 19th hole bholley, the N*ke marketing/branding wonks and their bosses are moving in for a stay at the Ford  compound!!

•  

pistolpete
    Love Tiger's quote in the commercial they made for #$ke: Tiger to Rory" " Dude is that your real hair"??!

As we are seeing, it's not the "Real" Rory at all do to this equipment change.

-ICONs for All

•  

If anyone is gunning to be world's #1, this is the year to get there......

-ICONs for All

•  

all I can say is...

THAT DIDN'T TAKE TOO LONG...