Forums

Rory brings back SC

•  

Look like Rory switched back to his Scotty before the second round, didn't help his score much, but definitely brings a lot of questions about his big club change to the dark side

•  

Very interesting. Every shot I saw him hit was terrible.  This could be a long year for Rory.

•  

I think he is going to have a hard time adjusting, look how long it took Tiger to finally switch to that "other" putter.

Have to say, seeing Rory in that brand just seems strange and out of place.

•  

IMO, it would be hard to start using a different putter.  Even Tiger did not switch for a while.  Maybe its just first of the year jitters, or the equipment really is bad.  But Rory can't control the ball right now.

TT

• 5354 points

Nick Faldo had some interesting comments on Rory's equipment change before the start of the tourney - The bottom line was that he felt this would be a challenging transition, to say the least. He thought that using a new brand, you simply cannot recreate the "feel"  of the club hitting a ball. Faldo stated that Rory has been playing the same clubs since we was a child and while you could adjust, think of all of the confidence and positive mind set you've put in jeopardy should you not play well  with the new stuff. If Rory did put the trusty old Sc in play in round two, he obviously had misgivings going into the tournament - otherwise why would the club even be traveling with him? This less than auspicious start must be making Rory think, at least a little bit, that this might not have been the way to go...

As Mr. Faldo succinctly put it (and I paraphrase), "Which do you think" a competitive pro would want at the end of ten years - 10 majors trophies on the mantel or a zillion dollars in the bank account"?

•  

i'm surprised he switched to that putter so quickly.  and i'm even more surprised he switched back after one round.  i think he needs to decide which one he wants and just stick to it.  if he has these thoughts in his mind already, this could be a tough year for him.  i know it was the first tourney of the year, but he looked terrible when i was watching.

•  

that is at least one good club in his bag and if he plays the rest of the year like he did this week he can say good bye to the number 1 world ranking

•  

His outfit from round one appeared to have been reported stolen from TW's house.  Looks out of place and very uncomfortable.

•  

Rory who?

• 5354 points

Love Tiger's quote in the commercial they made for #$ke: Tiger to Rory" " Dude is that your real hair"??!  

•  

He has his pockets full but this is the price of the change.

The question is how long he will take to be tuned with this equipment?

•  

He needs to cut the Method down about an inch and a half. It won't help his stroke, but it'll fit in the trash can and he'll be able to close the lid.

•  

Let's remember - this change was not about the equipment or style.  It was about the 250 million George Washington's that he received from his new company to make the change.  Luso is right - his pockets are well lined.  That is all this is about - the money.  If he wanted the best equipment for his game, he would have remained a member of the Acushnet family.  He chose the $$$ over loyalty.  We will see how it pays off - it did already in one sense, but only history will judge how great of a move it really was.

•  

It would not be the first big $$$$ mistake Nike has made if this does not work.  Michelle Wie comes to mind.  She was a Titliest player till she turned pro.  What did Phil say about inferior equipment a number of years ago?  Not only clubs but what about shoes?  That can be a painful change as well.

•  

I coulding imagine switching EVERYTHING in my bag, not to mention EVERYTHING I was wearing when I played: shoes, clothes, glove, it makes a huge difference.