Forums

Tiger MC on Ruling

•  

So Tiger fights back to cut line only to MC because of a ruling from his 5th hole (Embedded Ball), haven't seen the coverage of it, did he get a ruling from an official?

•  

Maybe it was the topped drive on #1.  He withdrew from embarrassment.

TT

• 5375 points

No ruling from an official - He called over Martin Kaymer who agreed that the ball was embedded...Should've taken a moment to call for cover in the guise of an official..And that topped drive??? The driving game continues to prove to be Tiger's nemesis... The guy needs to go back to his original swing - let it flow Tiger! How is it he doesn't look back on those early days when he waxed fields in tourneys and say to himself, "maybe that wasn't such a bad swing after all"... Couldn't be his ego, could it??!

•  

no he didnt he picked up his ball and droped it wrong and i am happy he didnt make the cut

•  

i was watching this morning before work and turned it off when he got his second into the fairway on 18.  interesting that the TV coverage didn't know about the penalty.  apparently tiger knew coming down the stretch, but no one else seemed to know.

and from what i read, he did not get a ruling and looking at the picture, i can sort of understand why.  it didn't look like it was a sandy area.

•  

I thought is was because they counted the # of clubs in his bag and found he carried a shovel after his 1st drive.  Needed to dig it out.

• 5375 points

tdogg21
    i was watching this morning before work and turned it off when he got his second into the fairway on 18.  interesting that the TV coverage didn't know about the penalty.  apparently tiger knew coming down the stretch, but no one else seemed to know.

and from what i read, he did not get a ruling and looking at the picture, i can sort of understand why.  it didn't look like it was a sandy area.

Indeed tdogg, it didn't look like a sandy area. Full of some kind of viney growth...looks like my back yard!! But remember off of the fairways on this course and the growing medium is sand. The course is literally built on top of desert sands. My guess is that if not on the dirt and grass of a fairway, it is on or in sand, even if the sand is covered with growth...After Dustin Johnson's dust up at the PGA,  you'd think ALL of these pros would get an official to make a ruling...

•  

Ooh well, TW get to Torrey Pines, I'll be there next week!

•  

I just don't understand a professional not being an expert on the rules of his business. I break a rule in mine I go to jail.  

•  

A spectator called the rules official over and mentioned the rule about the sandy areas. I wish I could call the officials during a football game and tell them their horrible calls or call the umpire during a baseball game to inform him he is blind. I looked like he was in a bushy grass area so I have no idea what the ruling is.

•  

Going to get to the point where the game is going to get slowed down so much because Pros will call an official over for every ruling! Better put an official with every group!

• 2781 points

NCBob
    I just don't understand a professional not being an expert on the rules of his business. I break a rule in mine I go to jail.

I don't get it either.  He has literally been playing his whole life.

•  

Whaql1
    A spectator called the rules official over and mentioned the rule about the sandy areas. I wish I could call the officials during a football game and tell them their horrible calls or call the umpire during a baseball game to inform him he is blind. I looked like he was in a bushy grass area so I have no idea what the ruling is.

the local rules there can be a little confusing.  apparently they were entitled to a free drop if the ball ended up in its own pitch mark on "closely mowed areas through the green."  so even though it looked like a bushy area, because it wasn't a "closely mowed" area, he didn't get relief.  on just about any other course he would have been fine.

•  

NCBob

unfortunately there are different local rules.  imagine if your rules changed depending on what office you were in.  no excuse, but it's a more understandable mistake.

•  

Tim, I can understand your point.  When I played competitively we would get a rules sheet on the 1st tee, Read it carefully and if I had any questions I would ask the official.  I still do it in club events now.  I would bet most of the guys on this sight who play competitive golf do the same.  We just are not prima donnas  playing for millions.