Forums

Photo Upload

•  

I have noticed the photo upload had changed and will only allow a 64kb size now.  I am not too technilogical savey, so I am looking for a response(s) on how to resize photo's I have....Please help as I would like to share a few pics.

•  

There is good compression software out there that can be downloaded, many times for free. Just Google Photo Compression and there are a ton of tips for shrinking all of your files, not just photos.

• 5351 points

Hey Boston, I recently went through this same challenge as I had submitted a photo that was to be printed in an alumni magazine.  Tar Heel is right on the mark - Try  Picasa - a free program - easy to use.. Good luck!

•  

I have been talking to Denise about this, hopefully it will go back to the way it was.....

• 1487 points

19hole
    I have been talking to Denise about this, hopefully it will go back to the way it was.....

The change appears to have been introduced with a hotfix to the platform that we got and installed last week.

We are currently looking into two things:

1) Rick (19hole) is unable to upload images at all right now.  He is using IE9.  We are trying to reproduce that issue to see where the problem may be.

2) We are looking into increasing the image size limit which will require additional resources on a shared server.  

BostonBuzza, I'll confess that out of laziness and because most of my images are taken on my iPhone I get the iPhone to resize them for me. The quality isn't great, but this isn't a Photo contest.  If I want to post pictures to the site, I email them to myself at the "Small" size option which automatically sizes them at around 35k. Emailing it also gets it to my desktop where it is easier for me to post them. (And yes, we are still hoping to improve the mobile experience)

Best,

-Denise

•  

But I can't share my photoshop handiwork at that low picture size.

TT

•  

Thanks Denise.  I do take most of the pics on my I-Phone but I have already saved others to my work PC and I can not resize them from there.  Going forward, I will send them in the 64kb size.  You might have to issue magnifying glasses to the community.  For now I will steal my grandparents.

•  

Small size is also an issue since many of my shoe photos end up being large in size.

•  

Here is a way to try this.... I just uploaded a couple photos and it works pretty well.

Open your photo with Microsoft.

Go to Edit Pictures

Select "Compress Pictures"

Select "Compress for Web Pages"

This cuts the size down below 40K and allows a photo to be seen in a pretty good size. I have some new shoes up in the 2013 thread in this size as an example.

And thank you Denise. This is a great way to rebuff TT photo shop "skills", wich are of course, questionable.

•  

IrfanView is a great program for resizing photos for the web.  very easy to use and free.

•  

Thanks Randy -  that seems to help.  Below is a phone photo taken off our my local course 3 green.  The majestic one was

waiting for us on Sunday morning.

•  

I'll still do the pics Randy.  And I have already copied all the good ones from your account.

TT

•  

I am going to miss the big photo's :(

•  

Go Hokies
    Thanks Randy -  that seems to help.  Below is a phone photo taken off our my local course 3 green.  The majestic one was

waiting for us on Sunday morning.

Bobby, that is gorgeous! We have hawks on our course and we see them in flocks almost. Had a close encounter with a female feeding a few weeks ago. Man was she a big one.

•  

Denise -- I hope you can find the fix. At least for TT. It would kill me to be without some snarky PhotoShop!