Forums

wedge idea

•  

Dog, that is just cruel! Probably true, but cruel.

•  

#3 fairway doesnt count as a fairway hit when you are playing #1, Tim.

•  

bholley
    Actually most sports have different rules for pros than amateurs. Basketball for example has different 3 point lines, shot clocks, and other rules. Football has tons of differences. Golf although only a highly competitive level is one of the few which come to mind which does not

Bruce, i have to respectfully disagree with you on basketball.  yes there are different 3 point lines, but that is less of rule change than a different tee is in golf.  and a shot clock is more for TV than it is a rule.  it was only instituted to promote higher scoring in order to make the NBA more popular.  other than that, i can't think of any rules that are different.  i don't know about football, i never played it.

•  

Tdogg,

International rules are significantly different than college or pro basketball.  Watch the Olympics, it drives the Dream crazy until they can make the adjustment.  Also when was the last time you have seen a carry or walking called in the NBA?  So rules are interpreted much differently.  

•  

NCBob
    Tdogg,

International rules are significantly different than college or pro basketball.  Watch the Olympics, it drives the Dream crazy until they can make the adjustment.  Also when was the last time you have seen a carry or walking called in the NBA?  So rules are interpreted much differently.

international and NBA/college is like comparing R&A and USGA.  both are pro leagues played by elite players.  and in reality, the only real rule difference would be the goaltending rule.  our players have issues with the international game because they can't go one-on-one and because officials don't call it as closely. and just because an official doesn't call it doesn't mean the rule isn't there.  when i coached high school basketball we played the same rules (minus the shot clock).  and we also had some officials who also did division 1 games.  so they called the game the same as they would a college game.

styles might be different and they might be officiated differently, but the rules are the same.  they use the same size ball, same height basket, same length free throw, and fouls, travels, out-of-bounds, etc. are technically the same.

•  

tdogg21
    bholleyActually most sports have different rules for pros than amateurs. Basketball for example has different 3 point lines, shot clocks, and other rules. Football has tons of differences. Golf although only a highly competitive level is one of the few which come to mind which does not

Bruce, i have to respectfully disagree with you on basketball.  yes there are different 3 point lines, but that is less of rule change than a different tee is in golf.  and a shot clock is more for TV than it is a rule.  it was only instituted to promote higher scoring in order to make the NBA more popular.  other than that, i can't think of any rules that are different.  i don't know about football, i never played it.

LOL with all disrespect try playing a game and have the ball when the shot clock expires and see what happens. It is a rule! The only similarities between the game you play and the pros play is the height of the rim and the basketball and theirs is newer, better, and they didn't pay for it either.

As far as rules and playing the game I played 7 years of Rugby and still don't know the rules. But I remember most of the songs

But in the words of the immortal Telly Savalas "Who loves ya baby"?

• 3852 points

There is no reason in the world for amateurs to play different grooves than pros. Just as there is no good reason for ams not to continue to use belly putters. All it will do is mean more golfers who give up the game because it's too hard.

•  

OUTIGER
    Rick,

Is that last jab about fairways directed at me?  I have improved my % greatly.

TT

If you say so Tim...

•  

golfdoc1
    There is no reason in the world for amateurs to play different grooves than pros. Just as there is no good reason for ams not to continue to use belly putters. All it will do is mean more golfers who give up the game because it's too hard.

I really hope golf figures this out because the more people that leave I can see a higher cost to those of us that stay in the game so the owners can still make the same amount of $$$ they are used to making....that is one of my biggest fears with these type decisions

•  

i'm am strongly against two sets of rules.  golf already does things to make it easier for an amateur.  and if someone thinks they can pick up the game and be playing from the tips with good scores quickly, they are sadly mistaken.  and having juiced up clubs and balls isn't going to do anything to make this a better sport.

www.titleist.com/.../the-case-for-unification-a-perspective-from-wally-uihlein-ceo-acushnet-company.aspx