Forums

groove tool

•  

has anyone used a groove tool to resharpen their grooves?  how does it work?  what are the downsides?  would it adequately bring an old wedge back from the "dead"?

•  

The groove tools actually cut the grooves and widen the grooves a little, making them illegal. Once the face wears down, you either have to have it refurbished or replaced.

•  

TDogg, I bought one of these online, albeit a cheap one I would pressume and had NO luck what so ever.  I know they offer this service on Wedgeworks.  Sorry but that is all I have based on my personal experience.

•  

ok. thanks.  what do they do when they refurbish a wedge?  

i guess what i'm really debating is whether it is worth buying a wedge used.  i've found some wedges in fairly good shape recently at very low prices.  and i'm wondering if it would be worth it to pick one up and then either resharpen the grooves myself or send it somewhere (like the place posted in another thread) to have it refinished.  

•  

It is not worth buying wedges used. They have a limited lifespan. Send me a PM and I will see what I can do for you.

For what is is worth, I use at least 3 sets of wedges a year!

•  

Rick, can we get wedges with hard chrome on request?

•  

Just a point, we spend $400 on a driver and won't spend $125 on a new wedge?  My sand wedge wears out first, so it usually lasts about 6-9 months , lob and gap are good for a year.  I don't practice or play as much as Rick, but I still like a fresh groove now and then.

•  

Hard Chrome is not available , but the Black Nickel finish wears very well. I have changed from the Oil Can to it and find it lasts 20-25% longer. Maybe I will be able to go to twice a year wedge changes!

•  

Tdogg, I am not 100% sure as I have not sent back a wedge as of yet.  This is something I am soon to explore, but in the meantime, I have bought another set of wedges.  Once I send them back, I will update the thread.