Forums

Frost Delay

•  

Frost delays for the morning golf is probably isn't as bad as others are experiencing in some parts of the country.  But up here in the high deserts of California, it has been delaying us up till close to 11:00am.

Does anyone know the damages it causes the golf course when it's played while there are frost?

Anyway, not far, down the lower desert, it will be in the low 60s and no frost delay.  We're heading down for a couple of days.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

(make some noise at the turn!)

•  

I know here in the midwest, it can leave footprints and lasting damage. Funny that they will occasionally slip up and let us out early on the course that houses the Golf Course Superintendants of America.

• 2781 points

I wish we just had frost delays! haha We are going to get some snow tomorrow!  Have fun out there for me and all the other FJ people in snow areas.

•  

No frost delay here in Orlando!

•  

jlawton1
    I know here in the midwest, it can leave footprints and lasting damage. Funny that they will occasionally slip up and let us out early on the course that houses the Golf Course Superintendants of America.

Is that pretty much what the course is protecting from when there is a delay?

•  

I know that if you golf on frost or frozen greens, the grass blades can be damaged severely.  Obviously, when the ground is frozen, the only growth of the grass is downward - towards the warmer/non-frozen soil.  The roots will grow quite deep in the right soil.  However, if you have frozen blades of grass on the top that are frozen and they are walked on or hit with flying golf balls, the blades can break or split.  Best to wait until the frost is gone for the overall health of the greens.  

The fairways are usually different grass blends and typically left longer than the blades of grass on the greens.  This grass is not as impacted by the frost, but still should be avoided if possible.  

•  

ToddL
    I know that if you golf on frost or frozen greens, the grass blades can be damaged severely.  Obviously, when the ground is frozen, the only growth of the grass is downward - towards the warmer/non-frozen soil.  The roots will grow quite deep in the right soil.  However, if you have frozen blades of grass on the top that are frozen and they are walked on or hit with flying golf balls, the blades can break or split.  Best to wait until the frost is gone for the overall health of the greens.  

The fairways are usually different grass blends and typically left longer than the blades of grass on the greens.  This grass is not as impacted by the frost, but still should be avoided if possible.

ToddL;  very educational.  Thanks for taking the time.

Happy New Year!

No'l

(Make some noise at the turn!)

•  

19hole
    No frost delay here in Orlando!

nor in Melbourne .. summer Downunder.

•  

I think it also depends on the type of grass. I had a greens keeper in North Carolina tell me that bent grass was mostly water, and walking and rolling on it while it's frozen causes it to break and scar. Apparently it can really ruin the greens. I'd settle for a frost delay right now. There's snow on the ground here in Mass.

• 2397 points

we probably have frost here as well but I can't be sure as its probably covered by 20 - 23 inches of snow right now here in my area of wisconsin.  

•  

i wish it was like that in ohio but now we have a foot of snow on the ground

•  

Noel, after the storm we got up in NE this past week, golf is officially done until I can see the ground again.  At our course we actually clean off 4 holes, tees to greens and allow play.  There are a few nuts out there that get in a few rounds of 4 holes.  I will try and grab a picture if I can.

Play well and enjoy your weather.

•  

BB, That's interesting.  Yeah, I would like to see a picture!

•  

We have had several frost delays here in Oregon. I played today just after the course opened from the delay. the greens were concrete :) they would not hold any shots. I didn't like it, but shot an 89 with a birdie and some serious green reading problems. my group had them as well.

After playing today, I fully understand the frost delays and no longer plan to play on days that have them.

•  

Randy,

Down at the lower desert, over the new year weekend, there were no frost delays that day.  But one of the green side area had what looked like a few brown grass footmarks and were very visible against the beautiful emerald lush.  It looks like there must have been frost and foot traffic activity.  I immediately thought about ToddL's post.

Hope you had a good New Year's Eve!

Nol