Forums

Most over/under rated golfer

•  

Over - Adam Scott and Sergio Garcia (although I am a fan of both)
    Under - Jim Furyk (he is always in the mix) and Robert Allenby (he has 20 wins and a top 10 in all majors but the Masters, where he was top 25)

• Criteria I chose on for over-rated is hype and what was produced.
    • Criteria for under-rated, I chose on media attention and playing ability (in my opinion).
  •  

I think you hit it pretty close with Adam Scott and Sergio being overrated.  Although, I think the media is beginning to stop hyping those two.  I would add David Toms and Brian Gay as underrated. 

• 468 points

Over: Paula Creamer, Michelle Wie, Natalie Gulbis. Oversponsored and overexposed given their quality of play. Let your play do the talking. Maybe unfair to put Paula in there

Under: Ross Fischer (best record in the majors), Hunter Mahan and Lee Westwood 

•  

I agree with Sergio as OVER, I wish he had better results.

Furyk is definately Under rated. He is so consistant but never really get the credit he deserves.

•  

Over - your Sergio pick is spot on - but I like him as well just like you mentioned, he's just yet to be the force everyone thought he would be..  Bubba Watson seems to get some press too and hasn't proven himself (yet).

Under - Stricker flys under the radar a lot, although he's gotten more attention as of late, same goes for Boo since the Ryder Cup, but until then he was a relative unknown. 

•  

Overratted Phil Mickelson.  He plays to aggresvie and stupid sometimes.

Underrated Ross Fisher and David Duval.  David Duval should have one the US Open he had more birides than anyone else that whole tournament he just have one bad hole.

•  

Welch222

Over - your Sergio pick is spot on - but I like him as well just like you mentioned, he's just yet to be the force everyone thought he would be..  Bubba Watson seems to get some press too and hasn't proven himself (yet).

Under - Stricker flys under the radar a lot, although he's gotten more attention as of late, same goes for Boo since the Ryder Cup, but until then he was a relative unknown. 

I agree with Bubba... if he couldn't hit the ball a mile, I don't think anyone would know who he is. 

Stricker is definately a under-rated golfer, but has gained some recognition lately.

Sergio will come off this list once he wins a major and can continue success on the PGA.  If he wins a major and falls off the golfing planet then in my opinion he will still be over-rated.  Media has dropped a lot with the hype of Scott and Sergio, but I really would like to see Scott start performing again.  He is an amazing player with a beautiful golf swing, now if only he can get something going for next year...

•  

Over - Adam Scott

Under - Geoff Ogilvy

Tim

•  

I believe the media overrates -- Sergio and Adam Scott -- I personally believe Phil Mickelson the way he is playing gets too much attention for his performances (I guess maybe we can excuse  him right now based on what is going on in his life)

I think Hunter Mahan is underrated as is Steve Stricker

• 4775 points

Good point in Hunter Mahan, especially considering how he play at the last Ryder Cup.

•  

EMKelly0106

Welch222

I agree with Bubba... if he couldn't hit the ball a mile, I don't think anyone would know who he is. 

Stricker is definately a under-rated golfer, but has gained some recognition lately.

Sergio will come off this list once he wins a major and can continue success on the PGA.  If he wins a major and falls off the golfing planet then in my opinion he will still be over-rated.  Media has dropped a lot with the hype of Scott and Sergio, but I really would like to see Scott start performing again.  He is an amazing player with a beautiful golf swing, now if only he can get something going for next year...

+1 for hoping Adam Scott turns it around soon.  Had an off year, but theres just no way he can stay in the shadows much longer with that golf swing.  He just needs to get all the little things back in order.

•  

under, i gotta go with furyk

over, sergio came on strong when he first surfaced and then became a huge disappointment. when he first hit the tour he seemed to be having fun with his game and did extremely well, even besting tiger at little big horn. once he got serious about his game, he lost it. everyone remembers him regripping 100 time before hitting the ball.  looking for perfection quite often causes you to lose sight of the target. 

there is a certain amount naturalness that must be held onto to keep your muscle memory intact enabling you to make proper contact with the ball.

you know with a swing coach helping furyk, he too could go from under to over in the rated catagory.

coaching and changing can improve a game immensly until there is nothing you can do about getting comfortable over your ball.

•  

Sergio isdefinitely overrated. Possibly even Phil. He seems to take too many chances and spoils his own game. On the womens side, Michelle Wie has been hyped up to the point that she may never live up to the expectations. Although, after her showing at the Solheim Cup, we may yet be surprised. Underrated, I think are Stewart Cink and Steve Stricker. Others might be Zack Johnson and Jim Furyck.

•  

Lets not forget about Kenny Perry for being underrated.

•  

I couldn't agree more with Perry.  I think he is a fantastic player and one of the better strikers of the ball on tour.