Forums

Troon Golf's new dress code -- or lack thereof

•  

Amazing that gym shorts would be acceptable!

•  

As long as they are accompainied by Kurt Rambus's old 1980 tube socks.

•  

Geez, first the denim, then the cut offs followed by the cargo...  "Gym shorts!"

That's cute.  I'm ok with it in effect between 18 degrees and below.

•  

Another example of laziness and sloppiness being considered acceptable in society.

So I thought of this as well. If this "apparel" is OK, imagine the potential golfer (read: Hack) this invites to the course. I don't want to sound like a snob or a "Poinderxter," but if you show up looking like this and think it's OK, what kind of behaviour does this dress code imply? I have visions of Caddy Shacks "caddy day" running through my head....

•  

Yeah, I hate to come off as a snob, but Golf seems to be one of the few remaining realms where manners and decorum still matter. I'm a high school coach and insist on shirts being tucked in, no hats turned backwards, handshakes with hats off, etc., but when it's "league day" at the course and all the goofballs are out, it can be difficult. I will keep up the fight!

• 3066 points

Jeez, really. I always have and always will wear nice slacks, or tailored shorts, and an appropriate shirt/sweater etc.

I just don't get the jeans on a golf course thing. I wear jeans often, but never to a golf course, fine restaurant, family get-together or any social event. Two of the four courses I regularly play now allow jeans, however it is still pretty rare to see people on the course in jeans. Occasionally I have seen men (young and old) in jeans, but am pleased to say I have yet to see a woman in jeans playing golf: thanks ladies.

•  

When is FJ adding gym shorts and tank tops to their apparel line? HaHa

•  

Thats got to be a bad joke...if not that is pretty sad...

•  

I hear FJ is adding sport shorts to go with the new baseball style jacket...

• 555 points

Not a huge fan of these new dress codes, I'm an assistant at a public facility in PA and I see these examples everyday.  i honestly dont think it's too much to ask someone to wear a pair of slacks or bermuda shorts and a polo!  I believe in growing the game for sure, but it's Golf, not a backyard pick up game.

•  

wow, that is unbelievable

•  

I guess that it is ok to wear my daisy dukes :)

• 5657 points

Troon Golf must be having a tough time of it - Relaxed dress code is one thing but if you really want to pack the courses offer happy hours and "beat the clock" days - What a ridiculous slope to star to slide down...Do they really think there are enough golfers out there avoiding their courses simply because they cannot wear their GYM SHORTS and combat boots on the course? And how do they think the regulars who spend hundreds on their FJ gear are going to respond when some "dude" starts yelling at  the bar for shooters and beers in their "comfy attire" at the 19th hole?

Why not offer better rates, affordable instruction for beginners? Use the cable TV pricing model (low initial prices for multiple services, i.e, lessons, rounds, etc.) and lure new blood and talent into the game? Dumbing down the product offering will not work IMHO...  

•  

I have to say that I don't have an issue with jeans in the clubhouse, as long as they are dressy. Denim is now being worn at the finest restaurants around and when put together with a nice shirt and blazer looks way better than a sloppy pair of double pleat pants. I may be in the minority with that statement, but feel it is just the times changing in the way people dress. Now gym shorts on the other hand have no place ont he golf course.

•  

This is just wrong! Gym Shorts!?