Product Development- ProDry

Product Development- ProDry

•  

Hey Staffers

I use the ProDry socks extensively, wearing them both on course and off. Because I use them a great deal I have formed a couple of observations.

The overall material composition of the top area and footbed wears very well and is extremely comfortable. The sock stays up around the ankles and doesn't stretch out, which is a huge benefit. The foot area and extra cushion at the heel and arch area keeps my feet very comfortable all day or all round long.

One area I wanted to point out is where the main sock is connected to the heel area, just above the multi-ply area. I have had several pairs of the socks "fail" in this area at that connection point. The sock wears more in this area and subsequently, the material separates at this connection point. Over the past 2 years I have noticed at least 4 pairs of socks "fail" at the exact safe fusion point. I'm sure if it happens to me that it effects thers.

Might need to consider raising where the fusion of the two areas takes place so it falls above the top of where the shoe rubs perhaps.

•  
    Randy, I thought I was the only one that this was happening to.
  •  

I wear mine like yourself on and off the course...I have not had mine fail in this area (yet).  I will keep an eye out though!  Great comments though...maybe you got a bad batch?

•  

Chris

Have had different products bought at different times, so probably not a "batch" issue.

Rick.... well if it's happening to you as well, then maybe we need to go up to FJ and do a little design review!

•  

It makes sense the socks would wear most at that point and my older FJ socks wear out there. However, I'm just starting to wear the ProDry. Perhaps FJ could reinforce that area more in the future.

•  

I will forward this thread to our sock team.  Expect a response tomorrow. 

Cheers,

DG

•  

I wanted to follow up so everyone understands (again) the commitment that FJ has in everything they do.

I got a PM from Jessica, who is the product marketing person for socks. We had a great phone conversation this week about the socks in question and the overall development that Jessica has done. I won't bore you all with details, but suffice it to say that she is on the case and we're evaluating my products against some newer versions. I will be providing her some additonal feedback in the days and weeks to come. So stay tuned!

So I want to point out what's obvious to those of us who are on the site daily, but a key variable to newer viewers and participants. FJ has communicated directly with me about a $10.00 pair of socks. They want to ensure 100% customer satisfaction for me, but much more importantly, they want to ensure EVERY product that goes out meets the extensive requirements for everyone. This means they pay attention to the subtle little details of how product gets used in the real world on a daily basis. They listen. They respond. And they "live it" when they say they are number 1.

This is why this organization is the best, period.

•  

Very impressive, Randy. And it all started with a post on their Community Site. Well done all involved.

•  

Great information Randy. Hopefully, they can find a way to reduce the wear factor. I noticed o the other day how the reinforced area near at the heel stops just below the lip of the shoe. Put another way, the area of the sock is thinnest at the lip of the shoe. Given that, if they add reinforcement to the lip area of the sock, might that make it too thick and cause discomfort?

•  

Fred

When I get home on Friday the "test samples" should be there for me to compare. When talking to the lovely Jessica this week she said she'd beefed up the area where the sock body is connected to the reinforced area.

I promise to give feedback as I continue to work through this, both to FJ and to you all.

•  

That would be great Randy - I'm looking forward to your comments. BTW - are you a FJ employee?

•  

Fred

Nope, not an employee. I am an Ambassador!

Seriously, my day job is in product development, innovation, and marketing. So I spend time focused on customer requirements and how design impacts overall satisfaction. It's my world so it's why I notice these little things.

•  

Perhaps FJ should send you an honorarium for your touting/critiquing FJ products and you certainly know a lot about the line. You're a great source of information and I thank you for your help. FYI - it was a gorgeous day in Arlington, Texas today in that it was almost 60 degrees with no wind.

•  

This is certainly excellent follow up and dedication to putting forth the best products by FootJoy.  I will be interested to see how all of this turns out.  Thanks for keeping us updated!

•  

OK friends

This Friday when I got home a package from FJ was here and it contained pairs of the new FJ ProDry Crew sock and the ProDry Tech Soft Tour Crew sock.

It was very apparent that there was more reinforcement in the heel area, where the heel has a higher up double ply finish. This lets the back of the shoe impact at a point where there is double ply instead of single ply, which should increase wearable life. Well done FJ.

The Tour models are simply amazing. I have these types of socks in low cut version to wear with shorts, and have not used them with long trousers. But when I put them on this week, well I immediately fell in love. These are so comfortable and supportive (just like the short versions), and offer a design that breathes, supports, and cushions the foot in all areas. If you don't have these in crew versions yet I recommend you add them straight away!

In conclusion, it is very apparent Jessica has paid attention to users of the sock line and made subtle, yet highly important, upgrades in key areas. This makes the sock line a great compliment to the FootJoy shoes. With the many styles available, there are socks for every budget, foot, and need.

And lets not forget, come January we will see the addition of the new Wool line of socks from FJ. Sure to be amazing and comfortable for our 2012 play!

Thanks Devin and Jessica for the quick action on this. Once again, above and beyond responses for the Community!