Forums

Sock Technology

•  

I have three old pairs of golf socks sat in a draw that I forget to take with me when I go out to play. Am I missing out on new sock technology? The golf socks I have seem to be thicker than a normal pair, but that to the untrained eye seems to be the only difference. when you wear golf socks do you notice the difference from a normal pair of socks worn in the house or office?

•  

Hmm, I don't have any golf socks per say, but I do have some "sport socks," and I notice that they are pretty thin, and that the material is supposed to be wicking to keep your feet dry. I do notice that they tend to stick to certain types of rugs when walking around in them.

I am not sure about golf socks in particular though. I have never owned a pair of golf socks or any FJ socks, but I plan to try them in the future. If they are FJ socks, they could just as well be pretty up to date with minimal changes now if they are not more than a few years old.

•  

Hey Fairway, there is a big difference between old style cotton socks and the new tech styles. The ProDry Extreme or TecSof Tour do a great job of wicking away the moisture from your feet. They are very comfortable as well. Once you wear them, you will never wear plain cotton socks while golfing again. Welcome to the Forums.

•  

Thanks for the welcome Golfer and the pointer to the socks, I'll go check them out. Do you have any preference between the two? If so, Why?

•  

It seems as though thick socks have become thinner and stickier Kab. My old ones are definitely thick. I'll let you know what the up to date socks are like when I get a pair. Golfer is clearly in the know about the new tech styles: I can feel some test rounds of golf coming on, another great excuse to be swinging a club.

•  

Fairway

Like all things, fabric technology has added a great deal to SOCKS too! Try the ProDry Extreme model and you will be very happy. Just looking at them and you'll see the difference right away.

And I use all models of the line, from Crew Socks for Fall to the ProDry Extreme low cut for summer.

•  

Fairway finder

Thanks for the welcome Golfer and the pointer to the socks, I'll go check them out. Do you have any preference between the two? If so, Why?

I too, use the ProDry Extreme. I have not tried the TecSof yet, but really like the ProDry Extreme. They do a really good job of keeping your feet dry.

Good luck, Don

•  

Thanks Don, That will be my first FJ golf sock acquisition. I'm going to get a pair to try next weekend in preparation for the new myjoys that should be coming in the next 3-4 weeks.

•  

Guys, I got a pair of TechSof Tour socks in my FJA package.  I've worn them a couple of times and have been extremely pleased with them.  They are just a bit thicker than the low cuts I've been wearing most of the year, but they really are comfortable.  I still need to post a review, but I'll wear them a couple more times before doing so.

•  

Guys, so what is the thickness?  Are they thinner than like a Nike or Under Amour low cut sock?  or same thickness.  My concern if thinner then the fit in my shoe is going to change and I'll have more room (meaning more movement).

thanks

•  

I think it might be a trip to a store with your shoes to try some on and see whether you like them or the thickness is an issue. I would have thought that golf sock thickness would vary sufficiently to alter the shoe fit though would it? We're surely just talk millimetres aren't we?

•  

the older the socks the thicker they were

•  

Wheelez3030

the older the socks the thicker they were

In the current lines (Tech Sof) has destinctive cushioned areas as well as moisture wicking capabilities and comparatively it is a thick sock. I agree, older cotton socks were made to be comfortable and thick was the answer.

-ICONs for ALL 

• 3627 points

I've generally found the older/thicker the sock the more comfortable they are to walk in. Some thin socks don't give enough padding!