Forums

Merino Tour Socks

• 5292 points

Was looking online at golflocker.com and came upon closeouts of the Merino Tour socks at about 1/3 their MSRP.  I tried some of these previously and could not believe how good they felt on my feet so I figured I would stock up while I could still get some.  As I opened the box and started pulling out the socks I think my wife must have thought I went sock crazy.  Anybody have insight as to why these were discontinued?  Maybe the synthetics provide better moisture management?

•  

Mike_C
    Was looking online at golflocker.com and came upon closeouts of the Merino Tour socks at about 1/3 their MSRP.  I tried some of these previously and could not believe how good they felt on my feet so I figured I would stock up while I could still get some.  As I opened the box and started pulling out the socks I think my wife must have thought I went sock crazy.  Anybody have insight as to why these were discontinued?  Maybe the synthetics provide better moisture management?

The Merino Wool, a natural fiber, provides better moisture management then synthetics.  To be honest they didn't do well in the states, the main objection being, "why would I wear a wool sock when it is hot outside?"  Little do most consumers know that Merino wool regulates temperature better than cotton or synthetics.

We still carry them outside the US, as those markets are a little more understanding of the technology and thought behind the sock.

I have a LARGE stock of them myself, favorite sock we have made.  

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    Mike_CWas looking online at golflocker.com and came upon closeouts of the Merino Tour socks at about 1/3 their MSRP.  I tried some of these previously and could not believe how good they felt on my feet so I figured I would stock up while I could still get some.  As I opened the box and started pulling out the socks I think my wife must have thought I went sock crazy.  Anybody have insight as to why these were discontinued?  Maybe the synthetics provide better moisture management?

The Merino Wool, a natural fiber, provides better moisture management then synthetics.  To be honest they didn't do well in the states, the main objection being, "why would I wear a wool sock when it is hot outside?"  Little do most consumers know that Merino wool regulates temperature better than cotton or synthetics.

We still carry them outside the US, as those markets are a little more understanding of the technology and thought behind the sock.

I actually have one of the early prototypes on today!

• 5292 points

I felt the same way about the socks and agree that the wool works well in many temps.  I actually have a pair on at the office today too!  The comfort and support is great.  Thanks Devin for the insight.

• 1373 points

@Devin, out of curiosity, were the Merino socks ever made in size XL?  I couldn't find them anywhere, which is why I never bought them.  I have many pairs of the ProDry sports and recently found some of the ProDry Crews (in black) in XL.  

I wear a size 13 or 14 shoe depending on manufacturer, so the XL size socks fit better.  Which brings me to another question, my FJs are 13s, which fit well, since 14s were just too big.  Are there any plans to bring 13.5 to the MyJoy program or could they be custom ordered that way?  If there is a fitter that you could recommend in the Atlanta area, I'd be happy to pay them a visit to have my shoe size checked.   Thanks.

• 2420 points

That's quite a haul there very nice stock. Should get you thru this golf season.

•  

An awesome sock.  Wish there would have been more options, but people have to learn.

TT

• 1132 points

I got several pairs of those and I love them.  Much better option than any other socks I have for hot days, as they allow the foot to breathe very well.  I learned right out of boot camp, that wool socks were best for hotter weather conditions, as it breathes with your foot.  Been a fan ever since.

•  

Love the Merino's.  One of my favorites.  Even though they are a wool blend, my feet actually breathe much better.  I never get a complaint from the left or the right foot after my round.

I also added a few pairs for both on and off the course.

•  

I hoarded several pairs, very comfy in the heat!

• 505 points

Best socks to date in my opinion, I keep buying more from Golf Locker.

•  

i love these socks I use them year round

• 625 points

Devin_Gmitter
    To be honest they didn't do well in the states, the main objection being, "why would I wear a wool sock when it is hot outside?"  Little do most consumers know that Merino wool regulates temperature better than cotton or synthetics.

How much did the price scare people off?  I love the Merino socks and have several pairs of them myself.  I wear them when I golf, run on the treadmill, or even when I have a day where I'm doing a lot of walking.  However, at $15-$20 a pop, was that a little to rich for most people's blood?

•  

You guys weren't the only ones.  I picked up 6 pairs.  Best socks ever

• 847 points

I bought a bunch for work. Merino is the only material where I pull the sock of at days end and my foot is dry. Merino IMO is the original and best performance fabric.